Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Turnips >

Turnips

Turnips

Old 07-18-2023, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
If you were closer I'd come get them.
Me Too!!!

Love turnip! Turnip needs a frost to sweeten them but can be ate the way they are. Cook with carrots and mash,cook alone mash with butter and a wee bit of brown sugar. Great is stews as mentioned .
Old 07-18-2023, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Unless greens are cooked right they will taste bitter and strong with an unpleasant aftertaste. Greens like turnip, mustard, and collards have to be simmered with the right seasoning. If you buy large can of Seasoned turnip greens in a can and add a small can of unseasoned, simmer with beef or chicken stock they will be perfect. Fresh greens are really too much work to wash five times, destem and have wilt down to fit the pot. My grandmother always had turnip or collard greens growing or bought. She said they kept you healthy.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Unless greens are cooked right they will taste bitter and strong with an unpleasant aftertaste. Greens like turnip, mustard, and collards have to be simmered with the right seasoning. If you buy large can of Seasoned turnip greens in a can and add a small can of unseasoned, simmer with beef or chicken stock they will be perfect. Fresh greens are really too much work to wash five times, destem and have wilt down to fit the pot. My grandmother always had turnip or collard greens growing or bought. She said they kept you healthy.
there are collards already washed and picked. I have made them in a skillet and Instant pot. Came out great.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:00 PM

I eat them raw, slice them up sprinkle some salt on them and have at it! My siblings and I have been eating them that way since we were kids. Same with tomatoes, wash them off and eat them like an apple. Raw green beans, radishes, slices of the turnips cucumbers, just about any fresh veggie that can be eaten raw Mom and Dad kept in the frig for us to grab and eat.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

My grandmother always had turnip or collard greens growing or bought. She said they kept you healthy.
Indeed they will! They are a powerhouse of B vitamins. Eat them all winter to avoid colds.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:40 AM

My grandmother always had turnip or collard greens growing or bought. She said they kept you healthy.
My nutritionist encouraged me to eat lots of greens. I mostly eat kale or spinach with the occasional pot of mustard greens or chard. Lots of iron in the spinach. Maybe that's why when so many of friends are having problems with being anemic, my iron is actually high. I love greens and eat lots. It seems to be working for me.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:05 PM

My mom grew up in the Dirty 30's and one thing that actually would grow on their land, was turnips. She hated them so much, that she never planted them in her garden and we never ate them, growing up. I honestly don't know what they taste like or how to prepare them. Are they similar to parsnips? Or rutabagas?

I'm not particularly fond (finger down the throat) of wilted greens of any sort. It is a texture issue for me, so pretty sure I would be tossing the leafy part if it was in my house.

Last edited by GingerK; 07-19-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 02:02 AM

I love mashed turnip - cook till soft, drain and mash with butter salt, pepper and a tiny bit of brown sugar or maple syrup. And love 'em raw too! DH's family wouldn't even try them raw when I took raw veggies to a meal ... but then if you couldn't douse it in sugar, they didn't eat it.
Old 07-20-2023, 04:32 AM

Thanks to all the suggestions. Years back I took a full roasting pan of root vegetables for Thanksgiving and held my breath thinking everyone would hate them. Imagine my surprise when I went back for seconds and found they were all gone!!! Even the kids went after them.
So, I did try the simplest suggestion. I sliced it thin, cooked until soft, drained and sprinkled with salt and added a little butter. Much to my surprise - we both liked it. I was imagining a pungent taste, but it's actually mild and that seems to fit my (now) bland-ish taste buds.
Thanks everyone.
Old 07-26-2023, 11:20 AM

I have added a turnip or two to potatoes when cooking potatoes for mashing. Real good.