Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone bought from Temu? >

Has anyone bought from Temu?

Has anyone bought from Temu?

Old 07-16-2023, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
oh, I got too much stuff in the house now. I am a very bad consumer I am afraid. Just trying to use up or find a someone who can use what I have that I don't need.
I hear ya, sewingpup. I used to be a huge consumer. Now I'm more in the camp of buying what I need and less just because I want to buy something. I've also started selling on eBay to get rid of some stuff I had that I wasn't going to use, but it had value.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I ordered a few things to check then out and so far satisfied with the quality. I got a silicone spatula shaped liked I liked, a package of Spoolies for thread, pair of decorative scissors , fridge shelf liners, air fryer liners, and a silicone mat to put under my wool pressing mat. Total cost was less then $19. The air fryer liners were .28 for a pack of 50. Same package and brand Amazon sells for much more. The fridge shelf liners are nice. My fridge looks so much better inside I got the white ones. The silicone mat is about 1/4" thick, very pleased with it. The scissors are sharp with heft, the Spoolies are like the others I bought at the quilt shop. The spatula has extra long handle, silicone covered metal. I think the small things are the same you buy elsewhere, not sure about more expensive items. I didn't use the app as neighbor IT guy said would be bothersome.. I ordered from the website.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:51 AM
mkc

Recent US government alert regarding Temu in the news: BBC News article on Temu forced labor goods

Old 07-16-2023, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Mkc the link won't open.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:01 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Mkc the link won't open.
Try this https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65990529
Old 07-16-2023, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Seems the government knows if forced labor is used or not. If so say so, don't say maybe. No one will believe the government doesn't know for sure. As long a the social media influencers get rich by promoting the companies accused of this and so many of the younger generation think the influencers hung the moon it won't stop. I doubt I will ever buy from Temu again but then again Amazon, Walmart, Target, Joann, Home Depot, Lowes, about all big box stores and even independent stores buy goods from China through a distributor just like Temu.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:52 AM

Temu reminds me of Wish a lot and I had an account with them for about a year. Quality of the products were hit and miss, had to wait a long time for some of the items but I knew just about everything was coming from China. I stopped ordering from them about six months before the pandemic hit and I was in the process of deleting my account, but never got around to it. Then, out of the blue, I started having things that I had in my wishlist suddenly show up and I never bought them. This was right around the time that people were reporting that they were getting those weird seed packs from China. Once the lockdowns started to happen, I was suddenly flooded with things from Wish, so I spent a day separating things from Wish from things I bought on Amazon, threw everything from Wish on my burn pile and lit it up. There were probably thirty packages and boxes on that pile, made for a great bonfire, then I promptly deleted my account. Once I did that, the deliveries from Wish stopped.

Since that time, I don't trust any app that comes from China or has China's grubby little fingers in. Things were spooky enough with Covid on the loose, then the seed packs, but the packages from Wish were just downright creepy.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:07 PM

I've ordered a several things from them. I've received good things and things of poor quality. However, I find that this is true of any online shopping I do. The one thing that was better than what I thought I'd get is the tool to sharpen garden tools. I use it to sharpen my knives with it too. When I got it, I was dubious of how it would work, but it turned out to be able to do the very well.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:44 PM

Kim Kommando did a deep dive into Temu and her results are alarming.
Their BBB (Better Business Bureau) rating is 2.2 out of 5.

The Temu app has access to everything on your phone - contacts, social media, text messages, not to mention your address, phone number, birthdate, and more. Using this data it's collected, Temu can then data-mine even more info about you, such as public records, credit bureau records, and more.

It's just not worth it for some cheap crap.
Old 07-20-2023, 05:39 AM

I just read the article Peckish posted a link for. I'm not doing business with them. I prefer to do business with US companies if at all possible. I also try to buy locally when I can. Supporting local businesses and my local economy is more important to me than buying more cheap Chinese products.

Edit: Thanks for the Kim Commando info on Temu, Peckish. Another reason not to use it. I don't need the Chinese collecting info on me.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 07-20-2023 at 05:54 AM.