Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps? >

Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Old 08-10-2023, 12:30 PM

I save just about everything. I use tiny scraps (too small for a seam allowance) to make scarves by putting them between layers of wash away stabilizer and stitching all over. They sell pretty well at a couple of art galleries in town. I like to make crumb quilts and also controlled scrappy quilts, so I'm happy using small pieces and like the variety I get within color groups by using many different reds or blues, or yellows, etc. in a quilt.

Rob
Old 08-10-2023, 03:19 PM

Many towns around here (upstate NY) have (yellow) bins for clothing & shoe donations to benefit firemen. There's one at the local transfer station, too, where I was told that rags and unwearable clothing can go there too. So much donated clothing becomes stuffing for furniture, etc. Fabric scraps can go there, at least keeping them out of a landfill. Or the 100% cotton that we use can be composted, though I haven't tried that myself.
Old 08-10-2023, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by nanibi View Post
Or the 100% cotton that we use can be composted, though I haven't tried that myself.
I do this with my block trimmings (mostly matchstick size and smaller) and my worms seem to like them just fine. :-)
Old 08-10-2023, 06:01 PM

Surely unwanted scraps could be offered for free online for the price of postage and perhaps a few dollars to compensate you for the time packing them up and mailing them?
Old 08-10-2023, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I used to be a closet scrap-tosser! I tossed all scraps. Didn't know any better. Then....I wanted to make a scrappy rose quilt from YT, but had no scraps. Especially red! So, I twaddled down to JA to purchased fat quarters and 1/4 yard pieces to use.
Now I save 2.5" strips in a gallon baggie for a future jelly roll rug or bowl, pieces larger than my hand in a plastic storage bin, and pieces bigger than my arm get their own bin. I found that I like making controlled scrappy, that is, not just random, although I do like others' random quilts. Here's the culprit that started cluttering up my sewing room with scraps.
BTW, the first pic shows my chaos in the tiny space that used to be my sewing area. Now I appreciate my workroom.
What an absolutely gorgeous quilt! Looks like perhaps something out of Emily Bailey's crumb quilt book.
Old 08-11-2023, 01:03 AM

For reference, I have a mother who washes zip lock bags, and reuses tin foil, so I feel bad tossing almost anything!!

But thank God, we are more financially stable than she was as a refugee, and we live in a world of plenty. I see it as part of my recovery to learn to toss things that have done their job, and are no longer useful to me.

It’s difficult every single time.
Old 08-11-2023, 03:45 AM

I have a local lady who will take anything fabric-related that I want to get rid of. She does charity sewing and crafts. Everyone should have someone like that, put a post on your local FB group that you regularly generate fabric scraps you want to get rid of, I bet you will find several people who want them.

I love scrappy quilts, I am still working on Log Cabin blocks with 1" strips that were started by my late DH many years ago. Also cutting charm squares, sizes 6" down to 2".
Old 08-11-2023, 03:49 AM

I have to insert a family story here. My mother was born shortly after 1910 and was a great story-teller about her extended immigrant family. Apparently she had an aunt who sewed clothes for the family, as so many did, and would keep the scraps for years, in a box under the bed. She would take them out and go through them, "Oh, little Maria's first communion dress, little Frankie's first long pants, etc". Her husband was always after her to throw them out and would try to sneak them down to the curb on trash day, she would discover they were gone and run out to rescue them from the trash collector. So I guess it's in my blood!!
Old 08-11-2023, 07:05 AM

I think this is my favorite, so far,that I’ve made using scraps leftover from making other quilts of valor. It takes both time and patience piecing, trimming, squaring up but I worked making 12.5 blocks then sewed them altogether. I think these scraps look better in this quilt than the dump and can keep someone warm too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	C027A992-47D0-49F4-9839-4B46C7C13480.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	645071  
Old 08-11-2023, 07:21 AM

I throw out nothing. I have friends save and give me their scraps. I have succeeded in convincing my guild members to fill fabric bags with their scraps and we donate to local animal control. Much better to lie on a squishy 'pillow than a wire cage floor. I 'make fabric' with scraps when I have time. Each to his own, but I think if you pay good money for food or fabric, it is a shame not to use it all. I have made quilts from the selvedges. Plus, it helps to be able to do this if you don't have a lot of discretionary $$ for fabric. Ask me how I know. LOL!