Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps? >

Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Old 08-11-2023, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
I think this is my favorite, so far,that I’ve made using scraps leftover from making other quilts of valor. It takes both time and patience piecing, trimming, squaring up but I worked making 12.5 blocks then sewed them altogether. I think these scraps look better in this quilt than the dump and can keep someone warm too.
Love this!
Old 08-11-2023, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I remember my grandmother who raised me washing plastic bags and disposable anything. It had nothing to do with cost or recycle. She told me she didn't have those things growing up and they were amazing to her she had them. She said the washing of them gave her a blessing to be able to have them now.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:02 PM

I used to feel really guilty about throwing anything away - consistently hearing stash enhancement, scrappiness is better, drawers filled with specifically cut pieces from leftover yardage. Just this week I came to the conclusion that those actions were drowning me. . I started tossing pieces that I would normally have cut down and saved and, I feel ok doing that. The conclusion I reached talking to myself was that I have plenty of projects that need to be started, and completed, with starting and completing the focus to get rid of the stacks of fabric purchased by BOM's or to be used in patterns that I love.
Old 08-11-2023, 05:01 PM

I have given a very good faith effort to make scrappy blocks for quilts
  1. I tried to like it. But it just doesn't make me feel excited. It feels more like a chore than joy. So I figured out scraps aren't my thing. Ip have saved and mailed them to people on here before, I have donated them to the thrift store, and I toss the super small ones, all with no guilt. I tried to like them, but passing them on is just more my style.
Old 08-11-2023, 05:55 PM

Consider that the landfills are getting full, and many municipalities as well as rural councils have started the " purchased tags" system to defray costs. We pay $3,50 per bag. The size/ wt. is limited, and we are allowed only 2 bags a week. Just hubby and l, so l save 2 week's worth and put out one bag every other week. So my scraps don't get tossed unless they're smaller than 1.5" . Only some of my quilts are true scrap quilts... but l do often include scrappy borders, alternating blocks or piece a wide band for use as a wsy to widen backing. Consider donating some to schools for primary grade's craft section. Our Salvation army thrift shop sells clean fabric to a wholesaler who shreds it up for " unknown fibre" cleaning rags for auto shops etc. Value village accepts cut squares of quilting cotton if packaged in small ziplock to sell in craft section.
Old 08-12-2023, 05:04 AM

I used to keep every little bit. When I got a new storage piece I took all fabrics out of the old drawers and cut into useable sizes. It was overwhelming the amount I had. Took these to our guild auction and got rid of these. Now I have to tackle the bags stuffed in the closet. Until I do those I try to make a scrap guilt or two between other projects using yardage
Old 08-12-2023, 06:22 AM

My preference is for scrap quilts - even if they aren't truly from scraps, so lots of small pieces.

There are so many who want scraps, I wouldn't throw away pieces that are 2" or larger. Fabrics that I am sick to death of, or really, truly dislike, I put in a bag and take to a guild meeting. I've also taken projects that are partly done that I really don't care for. Out of my space and they are always grabbed up.

Many people would be happy to pay the postage to get your scraps, so if you don't have an easy outlet such as guild or sewing group, post wherever (including here!) that you've got scraps that you will send for the price of postage. If in the US, you can get one of the flat rate boxes and when full, put up a thread for it and how much. You'll get takers, I am sure.

It'll be out of your house, in the hands of someone who wants them, and not filling up our landfills.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
I do this with my block trimmings (mostly matchstick size and smaller) and my worms seem to like them just fine. :-)
This is good to know, Gemm. I've hesitated to put those sliver trimmings in my compost, in part bc of the dyes used in fabric. But I also acknowledge the limitations of what our landfills can handle, so try to be conscientious about what goes in the wastebasket.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by LI_diva View Post
For reference, I have a mother who washes zip lock bags, and reuses tin foil, so I feel bad tossing almost anything!!

But thank God, we are more financially stable than she was as a refugee, and we live in a world of plenty. I see it as part of my recovery to learn to toss things that have done their job, and are no longer useful to me.

It’s difficult every single time.
I grew up in a household where the linings of cereal boxes (waxed paper, back then) was reused. When plastic bags came around, those were definitely washed and reused, as was any foil in decent condition. I no longer do those things, although will admit that if a gallon size bag has only had a loaf of bread in it (I bake sourdough bread), I do put that in the freezer and reuse. It's not really dirty, they are expensive, and hate making/using more plastics than we need.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
I think this is my favorite, so far,that I’ve made using scraps leftover from making other quilts of valor. It takes both time and patience piecing, trimming, squaring up but I worked making 12.5 blocks then sewed them altogether. I think these scraps look better in this quilt than the dump and can keep someone warm too.
That's a lovely quilt - I wouldn't even have known it was made from scraps, really! Great way to use things up and do what you can to keep it out of the landfill.