Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help finding some parts for a Singer treadle base >

Help finding some parts for a Singer treadle base

Help finding some parts for a Singer treadle base

Old 08-09-2023, 03:02 PM

Default Help finding some parts for a Singer treadle base

We've picked up a treadle that we're going to add a wood board to to make a table out of, but we noticed when we got it home that it's missing a screw/bolt right under the Singer logo on the side that seems to keep the whole machine from swinging apart.

A few questions...
1. Does anyone know what screw or bolt that is and where is a reputable place to get one if I'm in Canada?
2. Also, it occurs to me that it would be cool to have a set of the 4 actual screws that are used to go into the wooden cabinet. at the top of the treadle legs. We have another fully functional machine which is why we know about those screws. Would I be able to buy those from a similar online shop?
3. I imagine a leather strap is in any store that sells the other parts?
4. Is there any way to get a serial number or date just a treadle?

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Let me know if more info is needed.

Last edited by tinpanalley; 08-09-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-11-2023, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post
We've picked up a treadle that we're going to add a wood board to to make a table out of, but we noticed when we got it home that it's missing a screw/bolt right under the Singer logo on the side that seems to keep the whole machine from swinging apart.

A few questions...
1. Does anyone know what screw or bolt that is and where is a reputable place to get one if I'm in Canada?
2. Also, it occurs to me that it would be cool to have a set of the 4 actual screws that are used to go into the wooden cabinet. at the top of the treadle legs. We have another fully functional machine which is why we know about those screws. Would I be able to buy those from a similar online shop?
3. I imagine a leather strap is in any store that sells the other parts?
4. Is there any way to get a serial number or date just a treadle?

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Let me know if more info is needed.

Try Keith Hallgren who is active on Facebook sewing machine groups. He might have your parts or know of someone that does. He's in Canada.

Jon
Old 08-11-2023, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Try Keith Hallgren who is active on Facebook sewing machine groups. He might have your parts or know of someone that does. He's in Canada.
Jon
Thanks, Jon! I'll try that. I don't have Facebook but I'll see what I can do.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:55 AM

Assuming that you mean this bolt:

I recently made one of those. They are a 3/8 bolt threaded 18 threads per inch, which is not a commonly available thread size. I purchased a 3/8 shoulder bolt, but off the threads, rethreaded the shoulder with a die I bought for the purpose, then ground the head until it was round and cut a slot. It needs to be blued but other than that I was quite pleased. My plan is to make more but it won't be done til I have time in all the other projects and commitments.

I have seen parts diagrams with numbers but can't for the life of me find them now in all the folders on my computer so can't give you a part number. However, it wasn't that hard to make and it will look original when done instead of cobbled together.