Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 11-13, 2023 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 11-13, 2023

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 11-13, 2023

Old 08-12-2023, 03:28 PM

Default Forest Galorest by Java House Quilts

Another pattern purchased on a road trip, maybe as far back as 2011 ? Each time I bring it out and work on it awhile, then put it away….. I waste so much time trying to figure out where I was! It is one of those patterns that you have to hop around from this pack to that pack, so decided to put it on the design wall…..need to cut some corner triangles first before I use that fabric for something else!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1881.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	645092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1884.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	645093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1885.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	645094  
Old 08-12-2023, 04:30 PM

Was able to sew for a little bit today, weather was too nice to stay inside today. Did housework this morning, and put the recently bottled wine into the basement. Then DH and I went antique shopping after lunch. While DH made dinner I was trimmings some vines and getting the fire pit ready for tonight. Weather channel says it's 78 but feels more like 72 but it's so nice being outside and not sweating. Plan on making more 4 patches tomorrow when they are for casting rain for our area.

Love all the pictures.

Old 08-12-2023, 05:43 PM

Saturday evening update on my progress:

1. Finish mystery quilt, choose back and prep back for layering. Done!
2. Choose back for small "Plaidish" quilt and layer - Not done, made the decision that that the plan I had in place just did not please me. I need to return to the quilt shop and purchase a back that makes me happy and that feels right!
3. Add binding to crumb quilt.
4. Add to the ongoing 2.5" quilt. Made 7 more blocks!
5. Measured backing for another finished top that will be a Christmas gift - Done! (a good rabbit trail.)

I went to a one day "sew-in" and took only what I needed to do on my list plus one. Ta-Da it worked. Minimal number of rabbits to distract me like laptop and email. No internet service at the site.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:49 PM

Happy to report I got my binding sewn on so I'm going to call it a win for this VQW. Might play with some fabric tomorrow, but more likely will try to clean up a bit from this last project first. Happy weekend, all!
Old 08-13-2023, 01:06 AM

Default Very early Sunday Morning

Leave it to me, I finally get the project loaded into my floor frame, pull up Pattern Keeper on my Chromebook, get about 30 some odd stitches into it and now I have the hiccups. Good thing I'm dealing with tapestry needles instead of sharps like we quilters use, I don't want to have any blood letting going on right now, lol. Of course, tapestry needles can still draw blood if you stab yourself hard enough with them, that's why I'm taking a break to get the hiccups under control before I keep going.

The trials of a cross-stitcher and a quilter - they just never end.

Plan today is just to stitch, I am allotting myself two hours every day, with an additional two on Saturdays and Sundays, then sit and stitch all day when I don't have my other half in the house. Every day that I stitch, I'm allotting myself 30 full minutes of nothing but stitching, followed by breaks. I'm having a hard time with my left shoulder, which is riddled with arthritis and since I two-hand cross-stitch, my left shoulder is dipped because I use my left hand for the back part of the piece. I'll be keeping track of how many stitches I do a day, which Pattern Keeper will keep track of all stitches total, it's a new app for me so I don't know if it'll break it all down to stitches per day.

Okay, hiccups are gone - back to the needle!
Old 08-13-2023, 01:20 AM

….. I waste so much time trying to figure out where I was!

Yes! I SO understand and not only for older projects - sometimes it takes me a half hour to catch up to what I did yesterday.

Your applique is lovely - something I can't quite master.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I take a very casual approach to big stitch work 😀
Wow! Never heard of this. Thanks for the photo! Very pretty.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:51 AM

Default Free Stitching sounds like fun!

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I take a very casual approach to big stitch work 😀 a friend recommended a chenille needle so I got a few different sizes and use the one I need for the “thread” … in this case I am using crochet cotton, no idea what weight, but I have been saving it, so now it has found a use.
The first time I did it, I marked all my lines and found that tedious, so I am just enjoying free stitching, not quite straight lines, because this project was machine quilted in the ditch already, it will have plenty of stitching holding it together.
Last year I made a little Kawandi runner and when it was finished, I was very pleased to see that any uneven stitching didn’t matter at all.
I like your casual approach to big stitch work. Thanks for the needle and thread info. Your runner looks great!
Old 08-13-2023, 04:49 AM

Reporting in that yes, my friend cut scraps and I worked on a Bonnie Hunter "Scrappy Mountain Majesties". First sewing I've done on one of my own projects in a long time so I count it a great day.( in spite of the heat )
Old 08-13-2023, 10:03 AM

I am done for this VQW. Didn't get my top together - only started joining blocks. Already marked my calendar for next months marathon weekend. I'll actually start on time.

Wishing the best success to each participant! Hoping that photos are forthcoming.