Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps? >

Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Old 08-14-2023, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
those hexagons are so tiny!! Boggles my mind!
I was so intrigued by these tiny quilts I read more into the descriptions. While the first links seem to be actual quilts (mind blown!), the hexie quilt description reads as follows:

This scrappy dollhouse miniature patchwork quilt is made from printed patchwork fabric, based on one of my original, hand sewn patchwork quilts. It's a more affordable way to include some cosy patchwork in your dollhouse.

It explains why it was so much less expensive than some of the others, too. Still pretty amazing to see, though. :-)
Old 08-14-2023, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

I save 1" scraps very seldom use them. I want to use yardage and not worry about using scraps so much.
I do lots cut into 2" strips am taking a break from those.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:28 AM

I guess I also toss anything smaller than 2 1/2 inches. Don't really toss them but put them in a sew thru bag and donate to second hand stores. They always seem to go.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:23 PM

I felt guilty throwing out scraps but hated the amount of space they take up in my sewing space. I thought I could use them here and there and found myself trying to find quilt patterns to use up scraps instead of digging into my stash of yardage and sewing the quilt projects I really wanted to sew. This has been going on for years now. Recently, I discussed this thread with my aunt, who is part of a quilt guild, and she has asked me bag up all the scraps I didn't want and she would take them to her guild. She knew several quilters who would appreciate them and they wouldn't care what size the pieces were. Win, Win!
Old 08-21-2023, 03:07 PM

For those of you who do like working with scraps, here are a few ideas and maybe some inspiration (all these are free patterns-just click on the picture(s) you like:
https://www.quiltedtwins.com/free-patterns.htm
Old 08-21-2023, 05:17 PM

I just completed 3 scrappy charity quilts where I used 2.5" squares to make nine patches. All three quilts turned out very cute.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:59 AM

I don't feel guilty throwing away scraps if I don't think I'll use them. I am about to throw away some ugly string blocks I made during the pandemic. And I'm now considering throwing away a tote bag full of selvages that I accumulated thinking I'd make "something" out of them eventually. Life is too short to feel guilty when it comes to a hobby I love!
Old 08-22-2023, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I don't feel guilty throwing away scraps if I don't think I'll use them. I am about to throw away some ugly string blocks I made during the pandemic. And I'm now considering throwing away a tote bag full of selvages that I accumulated thinking I'd make "something" out of them eventually. Life is too short to feel guilty when it comes to a hobby I love!
Well said!
Old 08-22-2023, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
For those of you who do like working with scraps, here are a few ideas and maybe some inspiration (all these are free patterns-just click on the picture(s) you like:
https://www.quiltedtwins.com/free-patterns.htm
Thanks for the link. So many great patterns there that I really got sucked down the rabbit hole! Download a whole bunch.
Old 08-22-2023, 04:15 AM

Don't throw away unused/unwanted blocks. I had a 5-6" orphan block, which I sliced across the diagonal, and then made it into a zippered coin pouch. No more loose change in the truck console!