Maui is Burning!!

Old 08-11-2023, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Death count at 56 and they have barely started the search and rescue. 1000 people are missing, so that death count is going to rise. Speaking to our friend on Maui, she says the fires are still not contained. It's a complete nightmare.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:10 AM

Default Donate

I have made n sold some bracelets for the purpose to donate the money to Maui. Now undecided to whom I should send the money to. I have heard many different stories threw our news channels. Wish there was at least one channel we could trust. Heard unless u know a person in Maul u could send the money directly too then good otherwise be careful. The one mentioned here sounds good to me or any other ideas? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:08 AM

The American Association of Geographers sent out this list:

"The Maui Strong Fund is currently being used to help aid communities affected by the Maui Wildfires. You can donate online at its website, or you can send a check to Hawai‘i Community Foundation, 827 Fort Street Mall, Honolulu, HI, 96813. Make checks payable “Hawai‘i Community Foundation”.

Hawai'i People's Fund is mobilizing a grassroots, community-based response to the wildfire on behalf of Maui's most vulnerable people. Donate here.

Maui Food Bank is accepting both physical drop-off donations at various locations across Maui as well as online monetary donations on its website.

The Salvation Army is providing food and resources to those in need, and it is accepting Maui donations on its Hawaiʻi site.

Maui Mutual Aid Fund is a local effort run by volunteers looking to get funds and support to vulnerable residents, such as kūpuna (elderly), those with physical disabilities, renters and individuals without insurance. Make your donation here.

Council for Native Hawaiian Advancement is matching up to $1 million in donations for Maui fire victims as of Thursday night. More details.

The Maui Humane Society expects an influx of animals who need help as wildfires have displaced thousands. The group is currently accepting online donations.

Baby 2 Baby, a non-profit organization, is getting ready to send supplies for babies and children who have been affected by the Maui fires. Visit their website for more information or to donate."

The Pacific Rim Quilt Company also recommended the Maui Food Bank. They even donated half their sales to the Food Bank the weekend of the fires.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Those are all good charities. We donated to MercyChefs, who cook gourmet food on site for the displaced victims and the emergency helpers.

Samaritan's Purse is a reliable place to donate. They are on Maui now.

If you want to find a real Maui resident, I know a few.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the list, now to pick one.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:53 PM

Amalia64 - the people of Maui will love you for helping. You are demonstrating the love and compassion that so many on this board all feel. I think quilters are naturally kind. I haven't met a truly mean quilter, ever. Some cranky ones, but not mean ones.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Amalia64 - the people of Maui will love you for helping. You are demonstrating the love and compassion that so many on this board all feel. I think quilters are naturally kind. I haven't met a truly mean quilter, ever. Some cranky ones, but not mean ones.
Aww thank you for your kind words. I do agree with you about quilters. We are all different but kind. Your quote reminded me of me asking my son who was 16 then, Son why don't you invite ur friends over? (Of course our house is boring) Now me playing with him. Or are you afraid they get a crush on me? He laughs a bit. So then I asked him, Do u think I am pretty? I had never asked my son that question before but I am kidding with him. He didn't answer me. A few days later he answered me, Mom remember when you asked me if you were pretty? (Of course I had forgotten I had asked him) I said yes. He tells me he thinks I am average.. ok I think to myself. He goes on to tell me, but how I see you always helping others, going out of ur way for others, being kind to strangers. I see what you do comes from your heart so I think that makes you beautiful. Of course by then I am in tears inside me hearing my son telling me that..

I went with Maui Food Bank