Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tub of Jeans >

Tub of Jeans

Tub of Jeans

Old 08-20-2023, 02:41 AM

I love those feathers! Want to give them a try, but first I need to find some old jeans. I was "into" upcycling them some years ago but then threw all that was left away. I made a cute purse by cutting off the legs, sewing the rectangle across, making a handle with part of a leg, and then sliding a colored scarf or tie through the belt loops. One of these bags was made with a little girl's jeans that had glitzy embroidery around the pockets.

If you cut along either side of the double stitched seams, you can roll them up, gluing here and there to make some coasters or one big hot pad, depending on how many seams you use.

I love the colorful quilt you made, too. Drunkard's Path is just right!
Old 08-20-2023, 11:15 AM

Maw maw, love those aprons. Great idea.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:00 AM
mac

I made a cathedral windows cheater quilt out of denim jeans. What a memory that was! I had all of the circles done and took it to a quilting retreat to finish it off. It was a 4-day retreat and I thought it would be a snap to finish it. Was I wrong! It was a heavy quilt to sew together as it got it got larger and larger. I went through 3 packets of denim and leather needles. When I finally got to the last row, I realized that I was two circles short. It was the last night that we would be there and it was 3 a.m. in the morning -- what do you do? Well, you take the jeans off that you are wearing and cut off one of the legs. I finished the quilt just as everyone came up from breakfast. I made it for show and tell. Everyone was cracking up when I stood up and they saw that I was missing one leg on my jeans.

Things to make with jeans: aprons, potholders, place mats, purses/totes, pockets for dresses and pants that don't have any, dog toys, and you can use the double seams of the jeans for weaving a trivet, etc.

Last edited by mac; 08-21-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
It was a heavy quilt to sew together as it got it got larger and larger.

When I finally got to the last row, I realized that I was two circles short. It was the last night that we would be there and it was 3 a.m. in the morning -- what do you do? Well, you take the jeans off that you are wearing and cut off one of the legs. I finished the quilt just as everyone came up from breakfast. I made it for show and tell. Everyone was cracking up when I stood up and they saw that I was missing one leg on my jeans.
If you work with a 9-patch at a time, it's much easier to work with, than the whole quilt at once.

That's an awesome story! I can just imagine you standing there missing a leg of your jeans. LOL!