Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Time expectations for sending a quilt out >

Time expectations for sending a quilt out

Time expectations for sending a quilt out

Old 09-09-2023, 03:53 AM

Default Time expectations for sending a quilt out

It's been 8 weeks (yesterday) since a quilter received one of my quilts to be done (mailed) with an edge to edge design. She has quilted one for me before and it was nicely done. This is a regular quilt shop, so I realize she has other duties. I contacted her weeks ago asking to make sure she got it and received a one word response..."yes". She has yet to work on it or to cash my check that I sent with it. Am I overly anxious or is 8 weeks unreasonable?

Last edited by lindaschipper; 09-09-2023 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:59 AM

When you sent it to her did she give you a time frame she would have it finished? I'd contact her and ask when it will be finished. She may have had some health issues or perhaps her machine broke down. I do feel 8 weeks is too long unless she told you in advance of the time frame.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:59 AM

I think it depends on the quilter and her workload. There are times I can turn one around in 4 weeks, but other times it's 6 or 8 weeks (sometimes even longer, but not very often). Did you discuss a time frame when you sent the quilt? I don't think you'd be out of line to send a simple query to the quilter asking for the approximate date of completion, but I don't think 8 weeks is out of line if this is a quilter in high demand.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:02 AM

I think it depends on the type work they do and how many customers the have. I am so one
that only does E2E and she can have a turnaround of 2-3 weeks. Another I have used does custom work. Her turnaround can be a few months. Your gal should give you an estimated date
Old 09-09-2023, 11:18 AM

I have a friend in England who waited longer than that. You might ask for an update. things do happen to delay plans
Old 09-09-2023, 11:29 AM

Every person is different. How long it will take is based on assumptions that a person thinks like we do. And we know what assumptions do.

This is a good question to ask your quilter. You decide what’s acceptable to you. This is a business not a personal relationship.

It’s appropriate to ask. Her reply will help you decide if you 2 are a good match. When I take a quilt to the long arm, I’ll say, “I’d like it by_____date. How does this work for your schedule?” Another option is to ask,”when do you think you’ll get to my quilt?”

Ask, don’t assume.

Last edited by petthefabric; 09-09-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:08 PM

I've used a number of quilters, I always ask how far out are you, please put me on the list and call me when you are a week out.
Covid is picking up like mad, so that's the first thing my mind goes to now if I can't get ahold of anyone.

sending good thoughts though, always excited to get a quilt back!
Old 09-09-2023, 12:19 PM

Hopefully this is a popular well known quilter. My first custom quilt took over 4 months but it. was totally superb! And it was well worth the wait. The second one was an edge to edge but still took 3 months because they are so busy and a small shop. The third one I sent was to a lady that the day after I gave it to her suffered and ankle injury and it took about 10 weeks. She sent me a text to let me know, to be sure it wasn't an issue. She did a great job and one can certainly understand the reason for the delay. She also doesn't do anything during tax season. She would accept them, but tell people they won't even begin to be worked on until May. People are beginning to experience the Holiday rush to get it done so they can give them as gifts. It's too bad she doesn't say when she takes them in how many are ahead of you. It can save her a lot of questions.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:49 PM

The first quilt I sent out took 4 months, but the person I took it to is a very popular long arm quilter. I did not know that. She also has a penchant for not saying "no" to any one and then taking on to many commitments. I asked for a simple edge to edge and even after a nudge letting her know it was for a gift it was another 6 weeks. Never went back to her. Excellent work but 4 months was just too long for me to wait.

The gal who does some of my quilts now is usually a two week turn around. She will let me know if she had one ahead of me or 8 ahead and I can then make a decision that fits my desires.

Two months is a long time. I would ask for an approximate date for completion and see if you can "live with that" date.
l
Old 09-09-2023, 02:15 PM

It depends on the quilter. I've had them done in under 2 weeks and I've waited 4 months. Was there any communication regarding what kind of turn around to expect when you sent the top to her?

I'm really fortunate as there are several LA's locally. The one that took the longest was 15 years or so ago, when there weren't as many options. That shop still offers LA, and still says that if you want it before Christmas, to get it in by August 1. Knowing up front that this is their standard timeline lets folks plan appropriately.

If nothing was said ahead of time, I'd send an email to touch base. If you have a deadline (if it's a gift, for example), let her know what that is and ask her if she will be able to get it done prior to that.