Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The Plan B '23 Handbag >

The Plan B '23 Handbag

The Plan B '23 Handbag

Old 09-28-2023, 05:20 AM

Maybe not exactly what you wanted, but very pretty and useable.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:08 AM

I bought my Teflon foot for very little cost on eBay a few years ago when I was making a lot of handbags, you just have to get one that’s compatible with your machine. I bought a high shank and a low shank for different machines. The tape thing didn’t work so well for me. Have you tried Decovil stabilizer? It’s great especially for bags you need to turn inside out, there’s a lot less wrinkles. Also you can press on the back of vinyl especially with a cloth. Did you use a denim needle? You really can’t use a universal needle for it effectively.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:00 AM

That bag is right up my alley. I love the fabric. I sewed on what was some good quality vinyl many years ago and made my then "young" husband some motorcycle pants that looked like leather. It wasn't hard to sew on at all back then. Of course, it may have been my old Singer Golden Touch & Sew. That gal was a workhorse.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

Your purse looks very good to me. I am too chicken to try making any kind of purse or bag.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:31 AM

I really like your purse! Great job.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:31 PM

Thanks everyone, you really give me a lot of encouragement to marshal onward. I keep wanting to make an avant-garde handbag, something a little out there but not too much. I'm not crazy about large bags, the one above is about 9 1/2" long, 6 1/2 high and 4 1/2 deep, just enough to comfortably carry essentials, but I want to make something "different". One of these days the right idea will strike...hopefully.

Jingle, bags really aren't that difficult, and don't use a whole lot of materials, so not very expensive to experiment with. I started using Fat Batt for the batting but they stopped selling it so now I use Thermolam, it seemed to be a bit heftier a few years ago but it's still plenty firm enough to give the bag structure without being hard to quilt.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:25 AM

I'd be interested to know what pattern you used for your purse - I really like the shape. :-)
Old 10-02-2023, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by geevee View Post
Thanks everyone, you really give me a lot of encouragement to marshal onward. I keep wanting to make an avant-garde handbag, something a little out there but not too much. I'm not crazy about large bags, the one above is about 9 1/2" long, 6 1/2 high and 4 1/2 deep, just enough to comfortably carry essentials, but I want to make something "different". One of these days the right idea will strike...hopefully.

Jingle, bags really aren't that difficult, and don't use a whole lot of materials, so not very expensive to experiment with. I started using Fat Batt for the batting but they stopped selling it so now I use Thermolam, it seemed to be a bit heftier a few years ago but it's still plenty firm enough to give the bag structure without being hard to quilt.
Maybe you can find a bit of inspiration for "out there" at one of these:

https://studiokatdesigns.com/product...-bag-patterns/

https://sallietomato.com/

Sallie Tomato has free patterns for bags and all sorts of things
https://sallietomato.com/collections/freebies

These continuous zipper pouches are fun to make
All you need is a zipper and a ribbon:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...PER+COIN+PURSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdk4hf90tas

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 10-02-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

That's a lovely bag. Good job!
Old 10-02-2023, 09:06 PM

Thanks Charm, I'll look at your links.

Gemm, I just made up the pattern through trial and error over the past couple years. This style suits me the best for everyday use, but I would like to branch out a bit.

Thanks Susie, I'm from the great state of OH, but moved down south many years ago. It's getting way too hot here though, might have to think about heading back home. lol