Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bernina 125 1953 - Technical Problem >

Bernina 125 1953 - Technical Problem

Bernina 125 1953 - Technical Problem

Old 10-20-2023, 07:05 AM

Default Bernina 125 1953 - Technical Problem

Hello all,
The motor fails to turn the mechanism of the machine.
When I loosen the drive belts (rubbers) the engine immediately turns. When I reattach the straps, I see that it is trying but not succeeding. I checked the carbon brushes and they look fine, with sufficient length. I alcohol cleaned the commutator from soot.
On the other hand, I noticed that the motors in the same machines (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0W7EBKvzIY) have what looks like a (paper brown) capacitor attached to the motor.
I don't have one.
There is of course a possibility that the old engine is already half dead and needs a new winding, but maybe one of you has another idea? Is this problem common?
Thanks a lot in advance - Michael

Old 10-20-2023, 10:07 AM

Are you able to turn the handwheel by hand, and make the needle go up and down? It might just be that the whole thing is frozen up?
Old 10-20-2023, 10:22 PM

Yes I am. The machine is free now, everything moves fine. Handwheel turning, mechanism is moving in all parameters.
Old 10-21-2023, 05:49 AM

Off the wall, but maybe... Could the belts have been replaced with ones that are too small for this machine?
Old 10-21-2023, 06:54 AM

Well I did install new belts, it was 2 or 3 years back and only now I got the time to get back to the machine and try to run her.
I hope that they are the correct ones.
They are 5mm red round rubbers (both, small & large) and were purchased relaying on the store's recommendation, that got all the relevant machine info from me.
I think it was from www.btrade.ch, though I can't remember for sure.