Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Conquer Your Fabric Scraps Summit--Nov 6, 7, 8, 9 >

Conquer Your Fabric Scraps Summit--Nov 6, 7, 8, 9

Conquer Your Fabric Scraps Summit--Nov 6, 7, 8, 9

Old 11-06-2023, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Any thoughts on today's classes? I enjoyed the three on scrap organization. The main theme seemed to be that scraps can become overwhelming if you don't manage them. I can relate to that! I think I do a pretty good job of organizing them, but I really fail at using them in a timely manner.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:21 AM

I enjoyed all the classes, I've never stitched on leather, and haven't put in a zipper in 40 years, but I thought I'd try one of Amira's pouches with Stephanie's recycled leather I have some zippers in my Amazon cart!
They are all reputable quilters/sewers, if I don't want their emails I can just unsubscribe.

And nothing in the videos recommends buying the package.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:21 PM

I can't get them to work for me. When I push play to watch the videos, nothing happens. May be my virus protection?
Don't know.
A couple of the classes have a youtube link that works...

Old 11-07-2023, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
This looks like ideas and patterns will be offered over 4 days. Hosted by the blog/site Ruffled Purse.
Each day's classes start at 9 AM central USA time and are available for 24 hours free.
There is also the option to pay to keep them, up to you.

https://theruffledpurse.com/cyfs23-schedule/
shows the schedule, all the teachers, and I think the projects offered.

My connectivity is very off/on so not sure what time I'll be able to watch, but certainly within the free time period.
thanks for posting this and bringing it to my attention! It’s right up my alley and needed as I try to get organized. I especially liked the one today about scrappy backgrounds.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:51 AM

charm, are you clicking on the links in the email?
I know unlike youtube this vidios have nearly invisible icons (enlarge, start/stop) that I've had to hunt for.
to get them to play I finally realized I have to click in the center of the image.

I've got my loom and supplies, I'm going to make a recycled shirts mugrug this morning I almost skipped this one as I don't have any yarn which was in the supply list... not realizing by yarn she was refering to string and thread! I have acres of that

I've enjoyed every single video although I've seen Palo's magic numbers one for scraps before. I'll stick to Bonnie's scrap savers system as those are the sizes I use.

Looking forward to what today brings!
Old 11-09-2023, 06:13 AM

yesterday I tried the weaving class! I have a cousin who is a master at weaving, does room size rugs so I knew she'd get a kick out of my little effort
I love the idea of using up a little of my recycled shirt strings for these little mug rugs. I'll be redoing my first as I lost track of the over/under strings and after this bit I have a better idea of how to do it.

Anyway I'm getting real pleasure from all these free classes!
I did this while in the garage companioning Rob while he sorted out things for Craigslist. I used his scissors and could have chewed off the fabric quicker
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	weaving.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	646281  
Old 11-09-2023, 11:28 AM

Yes Kalama, I'm using the email links. I tried a different browser, and the videos play just fine there. Today's class on leather is the one that got my interest. I make little coin purses, handbags etc out of leather, vinyl and cork scraps. I have a very large stash of those.
I also used to have a loom....so the tiny weaving is a fun one too.

Thanks again for this post, Kalama
Old 11-09-2023, 11:35 AM

well that was a lot of time online over 4 days, for me anyway, but I enjoyed it all, except for Pola the presenters were all new to me. Thank you for joining me Since this was the first year, I suspect if they felt it was successful they will probably do it again next year.
Any suggestions to send to the host if she asks?
Visible rather than invisible click places would be my only one right off the bat. All the emails came when they were supposed to, for me.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:39 AM

Oh, something else I learned!! I see it done all the time on the quiltville list this time of year where people take photos of their fabrics in black and white. I can't remember now if it was in today's classes or on one of their websites, but I learned how to do that on my phone/ipad. I've seen those 3 little circles, but never investigated because all I do with pictures is straighten, crop, and resize smaller.
Happy days! love learning something new.

Oh, and I ordered a small loom from etsy
Old 11-09-2023, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Any suggestions to send to the host if she asks?
I also enjoyed the presentations! My favorite was the "cotton pottery" aka clothesline bowl, and I'm going to go watch the recycled leather one now, I've always been interested in that.

My only request is they improve the class titles. So many of them simply said "Life of a scrap case study" which doesn't really tell anyone anything.