Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes? >

What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes?

What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes?

Old 11-17-2023, 10:06 AM

Jennr8r -- wanted to say I have so far missed seeing the Oreo Turkeys -- so darn cute!

I knew the Dollar General just up the street from me still has marked down Halloween candy and I bought some candy corn for something like $0.70.

Going to make some for my Tuesday sewing group and to put in dishes being returned to one of the new neighbors.

But first, off to Walmart to get some pre-made eyes. I knew I've seen them somewhere recently and they can be found in various places from regular grocery stores to Walmart to Joann or Michaels or Hobby Lobby in various brands and costs.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:21 PM

We're very traditional, my family looks forward to our favorite and special recipes that I only trot out this time of year. My SIL decided one year to do all new foods/recipes, and it went over like a lead balloon. 🤣

Smoked turkey
Stuffing I make from scratch. No box mix.
Mashed potatoes & gravy from scratch
green bean casserole at my husband's request
roasted brussels sprouts served with garlic bacon aioli
fruit salad - fruits are sliced thin and served glazed with a sauce: lemon juice, Grand Marnier, and superfine sugar.
Candied yams - with marshmallows baked on top, my mom's specialty and my kids' favorite
cranberry-cherry relish, which is MY favorite
dark & spicy pumpkin pie - recipe handed down from my mom
huckleberry pie - in memory of my beloved FIL, because it was always his favorite.

My husband smokes 2 turkeys every year, because it's so good my mom will eat half of it while we're cleaning up after dinner, and take the other half home with her. The first year she did this I was so mad because I didn't have enough leftovers to make turkey pot pie for dinner the next night. 🤣🤣

Old 11-18-2023, 10:34 AM

We always make bread stuffing and two things that have to be in there are cooked sausage and roughly chopped water chestnuts. Mushrooms usually make into the mix too.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
We have the southern traditional turkey and cornbread dressing for the star of the meal. Here is one recipe that everyone that likes sweet potatoes likes this.

Carrot Souffle
We make the Carrot Souffle at our house every year and even those who don't like carrots seem to love it..
I use frozen crinkle cut carrots, microwave per package directions. Put everything but the carrots in a blender and pulse til smooth. Add the carrots a few at a time and blend well. Then proceed as Onebyone's recipe. Easier than peeling and mashing carrots.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:19 PM

There's just my husband and I. We usually eat a bit early and then head downtown for Autorama. I do a simple meal. My husband smokes a turkey for me and he usually has steak and sometimes smoked sausage. I do some roast veggies and roasted potatoes and some type of salad. This year I'm going to make the Minimalist Baker's Pecan Pie Bars that are to die for and probably some baked apples.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:54 AM

Last night, I wanted to try the carrot souffle, so I cooked the carrots, put ingredients in food processor, and then discovered that I have No Flour! I put carrot mixture in fridge to finish later today!
Old 11-19-2023, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Onebyone...the carrot souffle sounds interesting.

My mom used to make an oyster casserole with soda crackers, evaporated milk and a can of oysters, brine and all. It was so simple, but soooo good! Alas, my dau is in charge of the dinner this year and the oysters won't be on the menu. She's experimenting with new dishes and ways to make the turkey. (Fingers crossed.) I'm making the simple things like the cranberries, rolls and pies.
Can you share the recipe for this please?
Old 11-20-2023, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by mopec View Post
Can you share the recipe for this please?
Sure...here's one that is very similar:
https://www.amusingfoodie.com/2011/1...casserole.html

I don't remember the worchestershire sauce in my mom's, but hey, why not? My mom used evaporated canned milk instead of half and half. I think that she sprinkled hers with chopped parsely, as I remember.

Make sure to use canned (not fresh) or jarred oysters, not smoked oysters. Fresh oysters wouldn't really work either.

Last edited by tropit; 11-20-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:01 PM

I had a lot of dessert leftover last year (according to notes I make every year) so this year it’s cookies from the freezer and a cake that has pumpkin in it. There will be deviled eggs, homemade lefsa and our own frozen sweet corn.
No pie. No cranberry sauce. (nobody eats it except me )
Old 11-21-2023, 08:40 AM

What is lefsa?