Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 11-24-2023, 05:58 AM

"and when Bernie plays nice he is a nice machine. Well lit, quiet, fast, knee lift, threader and thread cutter are all great things."

Ha! Glad Bernie is fixed. Those things above are what lead to me using my modern machines to piece instead of my cool Singer 66!
Old 11-24-2023, 07:50 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Quick question!

I washed the red and blue fabrics but I don’t prewash my fabrics as a rule. Must I now wash the rest since these two colors have been prewashed.
Clue 1 is up and I want to get started. I am only making a half size I think!
TIA
Old 11-24-2023, 08:03 AM

Terry in the ADK, I've seen many discussions on the question you asked. Some people claim they have mixed washed and unwashed without problems. I am a pre-washer of everything, so I have no personal insight for you. If you prefer to do the safer thing, that is, avoid uneven shrinkage in the top, I suppose it would be better to pre-wash all, but perhaps someone else will have some insight.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:13 AM

I am a big believer in prewashing, especially of dark blues and reds but really of all fabrics. For one reason many of my fabrics have been gotten through thrift stores and such and often need a fresh wash. With new fabric I am sensitive to some of the sizing, starch and other products and can start sneezing or other allergic reactions. In some 40 years of quilting I've only had one running fabric disaster, that was a maroon fabric from a reputable manufacturer and quilt shop. Even though I did prewash that fabric, I didn't double check -- and the darn thing never stopped running. So the maroon turned into an orangish color and the white turned baby pink... It was not what I was going for!! Then there are shrinkage concerns, again I haven't had any major issues but I have noticed some pretty big differences.

On the other hand I know many people who never prewash and who have never had a problem (yet). If you usually don't prewash, there is no issue between washed/unwashed fabric.

I did link the clue but it is already on the previous page so here is the PDF (printable) clue again for those who just go to the last page!
https://quiltville.com/pdf/IndigoWay_PartOne.pdf
(all the same pictures and information but in a printable format)
Old 11-24-2023, 12:10 PM

Hope everyone had a lovely holiday.

I’m taking down my fall decorations today and cleaning but plan to whip this clue out this evening. Based on the quantities and sets, I’m speculating on number of blocks so I’m making less for a smaller quilt.

I always pre-wash red fabrics but that’s about it. I have never had any issues…fingers crossed the same can said with this one.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:44 PM

I have prewashed all of my fabric. I decided to iron as I go along. My goals today, to cut out the sets and sew a few to get a feel on this step. But 1st need to find my essential tool. I learned over the years it’s faster if I use her rulers. Now to do some house cleaning and get to work. Happy cutting and sewing everyone.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:56 PM

I'm going to see if I can participate, but I'll have to change my methods. No prepping all of my fabric at once, but I will just prep one clue at a time (with a limited number of fabrics). And I'll have to plug in the GO Cutter for the first time and see if I can figure it out.

I made a drastic fabric change. I thought my light gray neutral, being quite modern, was at odds with my more traditional navies, and taking photos today, I noticed my light blues weren't contrasting with the gray as well as I had thought. So I had another, darker, busier with white gray in a large amount, and that seemed more harmonious with my navies. It contrasts well with the light blues. The gray in it is the same value as my reds, but there is so much white in it, and my reds read as solid, that I don't think that will present a contrast problem. It might just overwhelm the whole quilt, though. (On the other hand, I do love a busy quilt.)
Old 11-25-2023, 08:29 AM

I've got the first clue done and here is a sample of the blocks.

I'm also including a picture of the salvage of one of the fabrics. Not the oldest I'm using, as at least of of the fabrics is from my sister's stash that I bought from her several years ago. Most of her fabric was bought when she working in a quilt shop in the early 80's, and was stored in boxes for years.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20231124_121837.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	646409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231124_100418.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	646410  
Old 11-25-2023, 09:04 AM

Wonderful to have access to such treasures, Macybaby!
Old 11-25-2023, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I'm going to see if I can participate, but I'll have to change my methods. No prepping all of my fabric at once, but I will just prep one clue at a time (with a limited number of fabrics). And I'll have to plug in the GO Cutter for the first time and see if I can figure it out.

I made a drastic fabric change. I thought my light gray neutral, being quite modern, was at odds with my more traditional navies, and taking photos today, I noticed my light blues weren't contrasting with the gray as well as I had thought. So I had another, darker, busier with white gray in a large amount, and that seemed more harmonious with my navies. It contrasts well with the light blues. The gray in it is the same value as my reds, but there is so much white in it, and my reds read as solid, that I don't think that will present a contrast problem. It might just overwhelm the whole quilt, though. (On the other hand, I do love a busy quilt.)
all this assessment will reap benefits in the end.

at some point, a choice is necessary. Where is that “point”?