Kenmore 158.480

Old 11-27-2023, 09:41 AM

Default Kenmore 158.480

I bought this as a project machine to learn more about how to fix sewing machines and how they work. I vacillate between thinking I’ll get it sewing again and thinking I’ve bitten off way more than I can chew. 😆
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	C41F8F48-1660-4B0F-8491-1CDAB0689BDA.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	646448  
Old 11-27-2023, 09:57 AM

I think it will be a great machine for quilting if I get it running. The feed dogs are easy to drop, the presser foot pressure adjusts, and straight stitch is really all I use for quilts. It has zig zag but I have worries about whether I’ll ever get that functioning. It also accepts cams for decorative stitches, though this machine didn’t come with any. I found some on eBay but won’t invest in any until I know I can get the zig zag working.

Right now it’s in pieces on my workbench. I need to take the tension assembly off because there’s rust on the tension plates. I want someone to come hold my hand 😬. Wish me luck. (The thing taking the most time in the restoration is me getting up the courage to take things apart because I’m afraid they’ll never go back together.)

Name:	350C4D40-9224-40A3-AEC2-BC1EB2B38A27.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	646449  
Old 11-27-2023, 11:16 AM

I think it's a great project machine. Lot's of oil and heat, if the innards aren't moving as they should. It will be a rock solid machine when it's ready. And you can't have anyone hold your hand, as you'll need both of them to work on the machine.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I think it's a great project machine. Lot's of oil and heat, if the innards aren't moving as they should. It will be a rock solid machine when it's ready. And you can't have anyone hold your hand, as you'll need both of them to work on the machine.
you’re right, actually sometimes I feel like I need three hands working on it!
Old 11-28-2023, 03:59 AM

While I can't be there to hold your hand, I can cheer you on from my house to yours:-) Honestly, I think this is the best way to learn how to repair machines. Just get your hands in there and start. Keep working at it and soon you will have a great "new" sewing machine. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2023, 04:51 AM

Yes, and take lots of photos. Also, keep all the parts for a function together (like all the tension parts) in a bag or bowl (and label them if you have lots of bags).

bkay
Old 11-28-2023, 08:52 PM

Groups.io has a Vintage Kenmore group that might be worth joining. They have tons of files and manuals.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:09 PM

Default Up and running!

I got the Kenmore reassembled and tried it out. There are still a few hiccups, which I may detail later, but the straight stitch and reverse are functioning well. I sewed a couple of microwave bowl cozies for Christmas gifts on it. I’m pretty amazed, since when I got it this machine wouldn’t sew and the presser foot was frozen halfway down. I’ve never really fixed anything mechanical like this.

Quite embarrassingly, I have a screw leftover, though, and I don’t have any idea where it came from. It’s about 5/8” long and oddly shaped. I’ll attach a picture. Does anyone recognize this screw and have an idea where it goes?

Name:	1F207C81-A201-4AA2-B3ED-F710073D6F01.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	646481  
Old 11-30-2023, 05:17 PM

Also, a picture of the cleaned up machine. Still won’t win any beauty contests, but better. It was a cabinet model, but didn’t come with the cabinet. I bought a wooden tray at Goodwill to set it in so it won’t scratch, dent, or drop oil on my table. It doesn’t fit perfectly, but it’s a good cheap solution.

Edit: the pic is upside down. Don’t know why, and haven’t had any luck fixing it. Sorry about that!

Name:	DC6B79CF-A2A0-43C4-B030-9031FCFEF166.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	646482  

Last edited by Butterflyblue; 11-30-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue View Post
Quite embarrassingly, I have a screw leftover, though, and I don’t have any idea where it came from. It’s about 5/8” long and oddly shaped. I’ll attach a picture. Does anyone recognize this screw and have an idea where it goes?
Don't be embarrassed, glad you've made such great progress. It appears to be a set screw for a deeper shaft, maybe to set the main post of the tension unit? Look for a hole or shaft somewhere about that diameter, remove whatever plates or covers you need to.