Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Vegan Foods >

Vegan Foods

Vegan Foods

Old 12-24-2023, 03:24 PM

As I said...controversy.

I'm just looking for some vegan recipes. Thanks for that one of the mushroom cutlets. I do eat eggs because we have a perpetual flock of hens, but I would like to cut down on other animal products and eat a little healthier. Why? Because I feel better when I do. It's as simple as that. I don't care if other people eat meat, or wear leather,or serve meat products when I go to their home. That's fine. I'll still eat and enjoy it. I'm not a perfectionist and I try not to be rude to my hosts. Right now...I just want some new vegan recipes. Got any?

Last edited by tropit; 12-24-2023 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
I am a vegan, I make my vegan burgers to look like meat because I eat it the same way you eat your beef burgers in a bun. You could put your beef burger on a plate and eat it with a fork, so could I but we don’t, why not? Vegans are not wanting the food we eat to look like or taste like the food you eat. I have no clue what your food tastes like. Sometimes my burgers end up as taco’s, in salads, pasta dishes, just like you make. I don’t use any fake foods like frozen vegan sausage, premade vegan burgers, etc. I eat real foods just like you do just not meat. What you make with meat I can make with a variety of beans and veggies.
Well said. I am not vegan but I cook for vegan family members. I have learned how to adjust my cooking habits to accommodate both lifestyles. It is a little more work but bottom line, I do it because I care and respect each of my family members. Sometimes, I do make a dish for the whole family, and I might cheat and use some fake foods because my non-vegan family members want their meals to taste like there is meat or cheese in it.
Old 12-26-2023, 06:57 AM

Are you looking for strictly vegan? I do vegetarian often, especially when not cooking for DH, but as i use eggs and cheese, if you are looking for vegan, I'm no help!
Old 12-27-2023, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Are you looking for strictly vegan? I do vegetarian often, especially when not cooking for DH, but as i use eggs and cheese, if you are looking for vegan, I'm no help!
Well...I have a relationship with cheese that's like having a bad boyfriend that you can't break up with, so I would prefer no dairy. However, I do eat eggs. I'll look for some of my favorite recipes and start the sharing.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Can one make something like spaghetti with a tomato based sauce?

I like baked potatoes with chopped onions. I like them better when I also add sour cream and butter.

Vegetables - raw

Most grains - DH eats cooked oatmeal with just cinnamon on it.

there probably is a technical name for what I call " steam frying"vegetables - but there is about a one minute window between being perfect and scorched.

It seems like one can do a lot with fruit , vegetables , and starchy ingredients - and seasonings.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Can one make something like spaghetti with a tomato based sauce?

I like baked potatoes with chopped onions. I like them better when I also add sour cream and butter.

Vegetables - raw

Most grains - DH eats cooked oatmeal with just cinnamon on it.

there probably is a technical name for what I call " steam frying"vegetables - but there is about a one minute window between being perfect and scorched.

It seems like one can do a lot with fruit , vegetables , and starchy ingredients - and seasonings.
great ideas but vegans and vegetarians need protein in their meals. None of your suggestions provide that.

for those of you who don’t understand why we want food that emulates meat ….its because we like the taste of meat , we just don’t want to harm animals to get that so fake meat fits the bill.
Old 12-28-2023, 05:51 AM

Tropit, have you tried any of the non-dairy cheeses? A friend likes the Daiya brand products. I have purchased the Violife cream cheese for use in a recipe, it worked well. These products are widely available now.

I enjoy vegetable omlets that I make with one egg & 2 egg whites. I also like most beans, and add them to salads if making it a meal on its own.

I did try some of the faux meats and did not like them at all. I'd rather find other ways to get protein in.

Oh! Peanut butter powder - lots less fat and calories than regular PB - works well in smoothies.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
great ideas but vegans and vegetarians need protein in their meals. None of your suggestions provide that.

for those of you who don’t understand why we want food that emulates meat ….its because we like the taste of meat , we just don’t want to harm animals to get that so fake meat fits the bill.
I undsrstand that vegans do not want to eat anything that can move on its own - or that these creatures can secrete or expel. (Milk and eggs)

So - other than things that are produced by plants - what are the sources for proteins?

Last edited by bearisgray; 12-28-2023 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:15 AM

We have recently changed to mostly vegan. I say mostly because I am not ready to give up milk for my coffee. I tried, but I have not had any luck finding a plant-based beverage that froths as well as milk - hey, it's my one indulgence. As for protein - there is more than enough protein in beans and grains, so there is never a worry about getting enough, even for very active people like us.

As for vegan recipes, there are a ton with a short google search. We love pasta, and there is a great sauce made with lentils and walnuts which we had for non-vegan company the other night. Nobody missed the meat!

https://rainbowplantlife.com/10-ingr...ognese/#recipe

Some of my favorites are from:

https://www.loveandlemons.com/vegan-recipes/

https://www.acouplecooks.com/easy-vegan-recipes/

https://www.noracooks.com/
Old 12-28-2023, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Tropit, have you tried any of the non-dairy cheeses? A friend likes the Daiya brand products. I have purchased the Violife cream cheese for use in a recipe, it worked well. These products are widely available now.

I enjoy vegetable omlets that I make with one egg & 2 egg whites. I also like most beans, and add them to salads if making it a meal on its own.

I did try some of the faux meats and did not like them at all. I'd rather find other ways to get protein in.

Oh! Peanut butter powder - lots less fat and calories than regular PB - works well in smoothies.

Yes, my favorite non-dairy cheeses are Kite Hill Almond Cream Cheese, which is actually fermented just like dairy cheese, but with almond milk, Field Roast Chao, with is also a naturally fermented product which tastes remarkably like cheese and Follow Your Heart American and Smoked Gouda slices.

I'm not a fan of Daiya...it reminds me of Velveeta, which I don't care for. Violife has made its way into our stores, but it's not as good as the Kite Hill products, IMHO. Kite Hill products are really good and not artificial.

PB powder is sooooo goood! I love it blended in a shake!