Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing question >

Paper piecing question

Paper piecing question

Old 01-24-2024, 11:59 PM

Default Paper piecing question

I was wondering if I can use copy paper when paper piecing? If so, what size needle and stitch setting do I need to set on my sewing machine? Thank you
Craft
Old 01-25-2024, 02:17 AM

Hi neighbor. Yes, you can use copy paper to print your pattern as long as it’s not any thicker than 20-lb. paper, which is the density of your typical copy paper. As far as needles go, I like to use a Size 90/14 Universal or sharps.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:07 AM

You can use copy paper, but it's much stiffer/denser than newsprint (I buy a package of it to use in my printer). Use a shorter stitch length in either case (1.7 or 1.8) to make it easier to remove without ripping out the stitches.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:26 AM

A lot of what I do is paper piecing. I always use cheap copy paper. It is thicker, I use a much shorter stitch length and when I am ready to remove it - I take a moistened Qtip (kind of on the wet side lol) and run it down the stitch line on the paper side. Wait for a minute or so - and that perforations from the needle into the paper will absorb the dampness and soften the paper. The paper come off easily then without and tugging or ripping.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:43 AM

Another option you may want to consider is using freezer paper - you use an iron to make the paper adhere to fabric, fold the paper and sew *right next* to the fold, and at the end of the piecing you just peel the paper off. So absolutely no ripping of paper and possibly having some bits of paper stuck in the seam to deal with. Another benefit is that you can reuse the freezer paper about six times before it stops adhering to fabric, which is very nice if you are paper piecing the same block/unit many times

You can find more information about all the details of paper piecing by doing an internet search for: foundation piecing with freezer paper
There are a lot of videos and web sites that explain the process well.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Do yourself a big favor and buy a water pen. The copy paper will magically pull out from the seams. I use this one as it has a hard tip not a brush. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEhQUiSiGEg
Old 01-25-2024, 10:49 AM

you can buy rolls of tissue paper too, it tears out well. I must look up the water pen. sounds interesting.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Do yourself a big favor and buy a water pen. The copy paper will magically pull out from the seams. I use this one as it has a hard tip not a brush. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEhQUiSiGEg
Thanks for the link! I actually use something very similar to this myself - the Clover Fabric Folding Pen.... I just fill it with water! Glad to see they now market something that is directed to Paper Piecing. While Qtips are things that everyone has they are usually a use it and then throw it out item. These pens are a great alternative- the only draw back (at least for the fabric folding pen) is that is is not consistent in dispensing the water, I may have to get one of these other pens to see if they have improved it!!
Old 01-25-2024, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by platyhiker View Post
Another option you may want to consider is using freezer paper - you use an iron to make the paper adhere to fabric, fold the paper and sew *right next* to the fold, and at the end of the piecing you just peel the paper off. So absolutely no ripping of paper and possibly having some bits of paper stuck in the seam to deal with. Another benefit is that you can reuse the freezer paper about six times before it stops adhering to fabric, which is very nice if you are paper piecing the same block/unit many times

You can find more information about all the details of paper piecing by doing an internet search for: foundation piecing with freezer paper
There are a lot of videos and web sites that explain the process well.
This is how I paper piece, only instead of freezer paper, I use vellum with a dab of elmer's washable school glue stick. I like that I can see through the vellum and fold right on the line. I've reused some of the same vellum pieces over 20 times.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:35 PM

Default paper piecing

you can buy a reem of newsprint from Amazon or school suppliers that will last a while. It tears out easily and goes through the printer easily. Much easier than copy paper.