Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stabilizer for Under Armour >

Stabilizer for Under Armour

Stabilizer for Under Armour

Old 02-07-2024, 10:08 AM

Default Stabilizer for Under Armour

A friend and I are working on a t-shirt quilt where one of the shirts is Under Armour. We know you can't use high heat to fuse a stabilizer to the shirt so I wondered if anyone has experience with putting one of these shirts in a quilt. If so, what did you use to stabilize it?
Old 02-07-2024, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

No experience, but a suggestion ...
... what about using basting spray to hold a stabilizer in place, until the quilt is finished?
Old 02-08-2024, 05:11 AM

I'd use a damp dish towel on top of interfacing and not leave iron on top more than a few seconds on each spot. That way, you won't melt the t shirt. Now I have those silicone type mats that I purchased for the Laura Hienes project. If you have one of those, I'd try it on top of interfacing. The key, of course, is limiting the timed exposure to heat!
Old 02-08-2024, 06:17 AM

I just finished a quilt with 5 dri-fit fabric shirts which is what I believe you mean by Under Armor. I found the best method was to use 2 layers of the light weight interfacing that you are using on the rest of the tshirts. That extra layer really helped keep it from stretching and leaving puckers.

Press from the back using lower heat. Light weight interfacing g does not require much heat to adhere.