Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a new machine. Who knew? >

Buying a new machine. Who knew?

Buying a new machine. Who knew?

Old 04-20-2024, 07:12 PM

Default Buying a new machine. Who knew?

I just pulled the trigger and bought a new Singer 4452 from Amazon. Hope everything turns out all right. It's hard to buy something sight unseen and worse when you get into a surreal conversation with customer service trying to ask about the machine and find yourself being lectured on what you need to do with the stitch width dial to fix it. When I finally said I was just looking to buy, the chat abruptly ended with "Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate your comments and take them seriously". Bots! I then watched a video of a machine repair guy tearing apart a new Singer Heavy Duty machine. It was pretty brutal, he snapped off a plastic fastener clip then shrugged and went on with unhousing the next pieces, chucking screws into a magnetized bowl as he went. I couldn't watch any more. He did say though that in spite of the fact that the oil points aren't readily accessible, the machines were built to be oiled and showed us the places, Gasp! However, a small nugget of information was gleaned from the carnage. More study and research was rewarded with more unanswered questions until the final decision to just buy it and be done with it.
Just saying. Now to wait and see what gets delivered.

Last edited by L'il Chickadee; 04-20-2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:30 PM
Power Poster

Hope you enjoy what you bought. Right now I'm waiting for my Juki 2010Q to come home from the machine repairman. I miss it so much and a week without it has been torture.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:27 AM

My Elna Excellence 720 has been in the shop for a month. I miss it, but anticipating a long wait, I bought a Brother from Walmart. It's working OK. Piecing is smooth, but the walking foot is noisy and a bit clunky. Good luck with your new Singer. Will be curious to know how you like it..
Old 04-21-2024, 03:11 AM

That's the one I have! 4452. I was told "no oiling needed" by CS rep. They said nothing in the manual about cleaning, even. I did finally clean up the bobbin area, took out so much lint, it ran quieter. I'll have to look at that video.

Hop you are happy with your new machine, I love mine. First "non-vintage" machine I have had. I got it free from a dear friend.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

At last retreat one person had this machine. It seemed to sew okay but it was very noisy.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-21-2024 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:22 AM

I stick with vintage and antique machines. They were engineered before planned obsolescence, and with only a few drops of oil, they will be sewing centuries from now. No plastic, electronics, or computers to fail. That said, I do have a few vintage electric machines, including my 1970s Kenmore, which still does everything I need her to do. I briefly had a new Brother machine, which lasted 2 years. It had lots of bells and whistles, but I don't think I used more than a couple of the fancy stitches. It's in a landfill.
That said, with proper care, newer machines may last, and if you want the bells and whistles, then enjoy it!
Old 04-24-2024, 04:25 PM

Update: It's mostly just crickets out there. The Amazon order was quickly confirmed and all the other items in the order were charged on my CC. They will be here shortly. However, the Singer, after being confirmed, is still not moving forward through to charging and then shipping. Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear! The longer it drags on the more it looks like one of those super sales events turned into one of those "Sorry, this item is out of stock" events.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:47 PM
mkc

Was it even sold and shipped by Amazon? Most of the machines listed there are third party just using Amazon for their ordering interface.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:12 AM

As Tom Petty sang, the waiting is the hardest part.

When I pull up that machine, I'm seeing delivery times around 1-2 weeks, probably going ground.

But in bad news, when I pull it up on Amazon, I'm seeing red text to the side that says "usually ships in 1-2 months".
https://www.amazon.com/SINGER-Heavy-.../dp/B00OZWX100

Old 04-25-2024, 05:37 AM

In 2013 Amazon had a Flash sale on the Singer Quantum 9960 for $200. I bought it then and still use it occasionally. It's a great machine. I see the price is now $500!!

I also looked at Amazon for your machine and it says "usually ships in 1-2 months". Do you have a Joann store near you? They usually carry the Singer Heavy Duty machines in the store.