Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 04-23-2024, 12:19 PM

My candies for May went out. Let's hope they get there.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:55 PM

I packaged up a bunch of my candies for the mail and dropped the May envelopes in the mail box for Mr. Postman. I decided that I need to work ahead because I was just asked to teach a second online class at WMU for the Summer I semester, May and June. Surprise, It has been years since I taught two summer intensive classes at the same time. Big Breath, I can do it, yes I can. I suspect my sewing will come to a screeching halt for two months. But it will give me $$$ for future purchases. Yes!! I was just looking at a Sew Steady extension for my machine so I can learn to quilt with rulers. Or maybe replace the carpet in my condo? Hummm, Sew Steady will win, I know it.

Yeah for all of the early mailers! Three cheers for you! Hip, Hip Hurrah!
Old 04-23-2024, 04:59 PM

Heather, your suggestion would make a terrific pillow! It would be about 16" square, if I calculated correctly. If border was added to make the star "float" it would be a bit larger. I am laughing, I have the similar pattern on my work table that uses 10" squares for a throw. Great minds.....

I save my candies in 13x9 food storage boxes. I bought 8 a few years back from the Dollar Store and wish I had at least two more to divide my colors better. Can't find the same ones. At one time each box was full and bursting. I am guessing I had between 8-10 thousand 2.5s. Since then I have been using them rapidly and using my scraps for other sizes like 2.5 X 4.5 or just keeping strips of 2.5s. Perhaps I don't need the extra boxes after all. Tee-Hee-Hee!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2.5 Storage .jpg
Views:	20
Size:	596.3 KB
ID:	648416  
Old 04-24-2024, 04:56 AM

My candies also went out today, and I also hope they get there. Disappointed that one of my Hamilton postmarks didn't make it yet, still hoping that it does, but sent another package with some surprises to make up for the lost one. Hugs all! .
Old 04-24-2024, 05:11 PM

Hi all. I hope everyone has some fun stuff to show tomorrow! My conference in Hawaii went well. Batiks and Hawaiian prints were $5.99/yard. Any other kind of cotton fabric was expensive like here in Louisiana and Mississippi -- $12-15/yard. I did not go crazy with fabric.... One pack of Hawaiian fat quarters just to have them. A couple Hawaiian patterns for the future. The island of Oahu was beautiful! We drove everywhere! I did not go to a single museum. Nature was too opulent to waste time indoors. My advice, if you have never gone to Hawaii, you should try to go.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:15 AM

I received my first b-day envelope yesterday!

1. Heathermom20pmc 4/24
Old 04-25-2024, 02:24 AM

I mailed both May packets at the same post office on April 24. May they experience safe travels to their destinations!
Old 04-25-2024, 04:27 AM

Ibex, what a wonderful treat. I have been to Hawaii once with 200 plus marching band students! Now that was a hoot! We did have a lovely 6 days in paradise. I got to swim with the fish in Hanauma Bay, buy oysters that may or may not have a pearl, mine did and I had it mounted and wear the necklace often. Another chaperone and our daughters went to China Town area that was really Chinese. We had to order food from pictures because everything was in Chinese and no one in the restaurant spoke English. I had just a little taste of what it was like to be the foreigner We stumbled on the Royal Palace and found it closed but a care taker let us in for an impromptu tour. So glad we did. One of the Jennifer Chiaverini books,"The Aloha Quilt" includes the Palace and the last queen of Hawaii in the story. I could see it in my memory from our tour. I was not a quilter when I went, but I did buy a quilt pattern for my SIL who was a quilter. Bask in you memories. Hawaii is a beautiful place to experience.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:29 AM

Yes, indeed it is 2.5 day. Show us your quilts, your progress or your plans to make a quilt that includes 2.5's. I will be working on mine this afternoon so will post a photo later in the day. Won't be finished but, it will at least be most of a top.

Old 04-25-2024, 12:41 PM

Here is my unfinished April 2.5" squares quilt. I need to rearrange the blocks and reconnect as well as make two more big blocks. I suppose it will then be ready to layer and simple quilting. Likely will donate to Project Linus.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-04-25 April 2.5 unfinished..jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	648426