Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
packing my machine up >

packing my machine up

packing my machine up

Old 04-29-2024, 02:48 PM

Default packing my machine up

DH and I are still moving between GA and SD, waiting for the SD house to sell (been about a year so far). My sewing machines will be going with the next trip (in a week or so) and I've got to get my embroidery machine all packed up -along with the thread and all the supplies that go with it.

I kept the box for it, and have moved it once before (but only 60 miles, this move is a lot farther). I've so wanted to get back to doing a fun embroidery project, but have not wanted to start something and then need to pack it all up. the real fun is I have to totally disassemble my LA setup - at least once apart, it won't take up much room in the trailer.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

We moved twice in one year and most of my sewing items were in and out of storage. I know the feeling.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:17 AM

I feel for you. We have been in our house for 37 years. It would be a massive effort to move my sewing room.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:20 AM

I had to pack up my house in 2 settings. First to destash the house so it looked presentable to a home buyer and then finally after it sold. So my combo embroidery machine was packed up in it's original box for over 4-5 years. Same for my quilting system but at that time it was a smaller system. When my boxes showed up to the new house, I saw my embroidery machine box at the bottom of a tall pile with heavy plastic totes full of books so you know they were heavy. I freaked out but because the box still had all it's packing material, it protected my machine just fine. All my fabrics were in plastic totes as I lived in Florida were flooding was the normal for us and I wanted it protected as best as possible. I had no damage to anything in my sewing room, just didn't find all the parts and what did get damages was regular furniture.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:43 AM

I usually save all the packing boxes for my current machines as they have the most support for them while moving and in case they have to be shipped somewhere for repair. I also have invested in the trolleys and cases for my embroidery arms as I switch out the machines periodically and I use the cases and matching accessory bags to keep all the matching parts with the machine they go with. I also have attacked labels to some of the cabinet inserts to keep them straightened out. I also have a separate storage box for my Bernina feet that would go with more than one of my three Bernina's. I just try and keep the feet that came with or are specific to one machine' with that machine. Who ever thought that keeping all the accessories with what machine they go with would be such a challenge!
Old 04-30-2024, 05:49 AM

Macy, didn't you also have a large collection of vintage machines or am I thinking of another member?
Old 04-30-2024, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Macy, didn't you also have a large collection of vintage machines or am I thinking of another member?
That is me! This will be our 3rd trip with our 16' trailer. Most of the vintage machines got moved a year ago and have been stored in a conex box on DH's property. I've checked them a few times and everything looks really good. Our plan is to build a wood shop with a walkout basement, and the lower level will be for my garden shed and machine collection. But that will probably not be built until next year.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:52 AM

Cathy,

I hope the move continues to go well. I just love your icon photo. Reminds me of my older brother Bryan who passed away a few years ago. He loved the Lord, and was the most amazing brother.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Good luck with all that! I've always saved boxes. We moved to metro Atlanta about 9 years ago and I still have all those boxes.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

If you have to move and packing yourself, pack in the big rolling trash cans. Wow what back saver and it holds triple what a box or bin will. We had a lot of trash bins after the move but it wasn't long before someone in the family needed them to move. We told them to pass them along.