Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am stumped.  Banana darning/quilting foot. >

I am stumped. Banana darning/quilting foot.

I am stumped. Banana darning/quilting foot.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:47 AM
Administrator

is your machine model listed as "works with" in the cutsew description?
Old 05-03-2024, 03:40 AM

It may only work on industrial/professional machines. I found that out when I ordered a foot from them and it didn't work. They did offer to take the foot back and refund my money.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

The foot sets between the feed dogs. Makes no difference if they are up or down. The foot is very narrow. The list of machines has the Brother 1500. I have one, pre Juki. The foot fits on it like it does my Juki and doesn't move. My friend has one of the other machines listed and she will try it. It didn't cost much on the flash sale. I sure would like to see how it works.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:50 AM

So are you trying to move the fabric with your hands? Have you done free motion before?. When the feed dogs are up, the feed dogs engage the fabric pushing it forward with each stitch. When the feed dogs are down, the fabric doesn't move. Then you have to move the fabric under the foot and needle. If you are trying to move the fabric under the needle and foot and it will not move, then I think the foot might be just putting too much pressure on the fabric so it doesn't move?
Old 05-03-2024, 08:46 AM
mkc

Doing some Googling:

Part #: 160342

This is a popular and versatile Quilter Foot. This foot rides just above your fabric and allows you to "Free Style" your quilting pattern. The bottom is narrow, rounded and cupped so that your fabric will not snag the edges. Because this foot does not put any pressure onto the fabric you can move the fabric in any direction. A mechanic can adjust your presser foot bar so that the foot sits at the correct height above the needle plate. The feed dog should also be lowered so that it does not interfere with your "Freestyle" fabric movement.
It's a FMQ foot designed for an industrial machine but the pressure foot height has to be adjusted to use it - it's not supposed to press on the quilt sandwich when the pressure foot is lowered. Feed dogs should be down.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

I free motion quilt all my quilts so I know all of that.
I wonder why the machines listed do not work for this foot. Out of the machines listed three have been tried and none work with this foot. I doubt I have the pressure bar adjusted. LOL For now it will be a novelty item These posting will be for a future quilter who stumbles on this foot.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:00 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I free motion quilt all my quilts so I know all of that.
I wonder why the machines listed do not work for this foot. Out of the machines listed three have been tried and none work with this foot.
Have you tried it on one of the listed industrials? (Juki 5500, 8700, etc.) If so, have you adjusted the presser foot height as mentioned in the listing I found (physical height, not pressure)? It sounds like this foot requires a height change on the presser foot, based on the "A mechanic can adjust your presser foot bar so that the foot sits at the correct height above the needle plate" in the instructions for the foot.

Last edited by mkc; 05-03-2024 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

That's the way I read it too, have the bar raised to fit the foot, I won't be doing that. But I would like to see it in action. The foot looks like it would be better than any free motion foot I have used.
Old 05-04-2024, 01:10 PM
Administrator

have you considered dousing it in brandy and striking a match?

nyuck, nyuck, nyuck

(don't worry... if i had a day job i wouldn't quit.)
Old 05-04-2024, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

We all have wish I had a match days. LOL