Vintage Adjustable Hemmer

Old 05-07-2024, 12:50 PM

Default Vintage Adjustable Hemmer

Hi all, I'm playing around with my adjustable hemmer on Gertie (my 99K). I can get it to hem, but the stitches come out tiny and uneven. When I run the material through (not trying to hem) the stitches come out larger and even (photo attached). I am still kind of learning what Gertie can do. This is the first machine that has the knee control. She can sew just as fast as Mabel. Could the issue be speed or just lack of experience with the hemmer. I have a non quilting related project that I want to use the hemmer for.

Thanks,
Shari
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240507_164413880.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	648524  
Old 05-07-2024, 04:16 PM

It might help to loosen the presser foot tension?
Old 05-07-2024, 04:55 PM

Annette, that was my first thought, too. It also looks like it isn't folding any fabric under. There are youtube videos about how to use one, but I didn't watch any. There is a thread called "Singer Adjustable Hemmer Attachment - Victorian Sweatshop" that has some pictures of using it to hem before combining pieces. She does not mention anything about the pressure, but does tell some key points that worked for her.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:56 AM

Annette - Thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of reducing the presser foot tension. I'll give that a try.

Janey - Thank you. I did watch a couple of youTube videos yesterday. Of course, they always make things look easier said than done. I'll check out the thread in the VSS forum.

Shari