Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Cut Your Scraps into Pre Cut Sizes? >

Do You Cut Your Scraps into Pre Cut Sizes?

Do You Cut Your Scraps into Pre Cut Sizes?

Old 05-16-2024, 01:29 PM

Default Do You Cut Your Scraps into Pre Cut Sizes?

If so, how do you decide what to cut up and what to leave "whole"?

What sizes of precuts do you cut the scraps into?

How do you store the resulting precuts? All 2 1/2" squares in one bin or all colours together, regardless of size?

Thanks, Watson
Old 05-16-2024, 01:56 PM

I tried keeping scraps cut into "usable" widths but it didn't work well for me. I kept them separated by size in a variety of large zipper bags and small boxes inside a larger box. It was a better solution than my previous one where I used a large wicker laundry hamper for my little bits. That was always a mess of fabric and tangles and I had to press everything before I used it (keep in mind I hate ironing), and I had to dump out the whole thing to find things.

Edit: Smallest I kept was 1.5, went up by inches for 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, and then jumped to 6.5.

No matter what size I wanted, it seemed like I didn't have it. You can pretty much use nothing but 2.5" widths and nothing else for years and years -- some people like that, me not so much. Truth is, even though I have a scrappy style I wanted to do what I wanted to do, and not what my scraps made me do.

Currently fat quarters and larger are kept with the "yardage" in totes that should be sorted by color or collection (batiks, etc.) When I moved I combined several groups into not yet full totes and I need to spend some time reorganizing the totes.

As my pieces get smaller I cut a final 6.5" WoF (or at least bigger than a square) and those go in my one "small scrap" tote. I figure that I can cut down but I can't cut up and it is a good size for me to use and store. They are loosely put in color order but sometimes I'm using all florals or some other theme -- the size is easy to grab a handful and sort through them in batches.

I need to find a new crumb quilter to accept my small bits. I keep a flat rate postal box on my cutting table and everything smaller than 6.5" goes in there. 2" square or smaller gets tossed.

Old 05-16-2024, 02:13 PM

True scraps I cut into squares. 5", 2 1/2, 2 and 1 1/2. I keep them in large zipllock bags, all colors mixed. I don't keep strips, I cut them down into squares. Everything larger goes into the color bin for fabrics.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

I keep small pieces together - either by color, theme, or type of fabric.
Woven plaids are kept together and so are batiks.
They are washed and ironed and kept fairly flat in small totes.
They usually are "dumped" when I am looking for something. Then I need to put them back into their container.

I enjoy cutting for a particular project.

The short answer is - No, I do not cut scraps into smaller pieces until I have something in mind for them.

Old 05-16-2024, 03:43 PM

It sounds like you have figured out your styIe and size that works for you. I tried the cut all your scraps into standard sizes about 8 years ago and I found I did not use them.I ended up re-cutting and creating wasted fabric.

Cut pieces in sizes that YOU like to use, that you are drawn to and that you like to use for scrappy quilts. I use a lot of 2.5 squares, so I cut strips and store them by color. I also use 2.5 x 4.5 or 2.5 x 6.5, so I just leave my 2.5 in strips when ever possible. Some strips are WOF but most are not.

The attached photo is of my 2.5 bins that now also hold 2.5 strips by color. Yes, that has changed a bit over time too. Just 13 X 9 plastic containers from the Dollar Store.

My fabric is sorted by color even my 2.5 strips. If a fabric piece is as large as a 10 or 12" square I leave it in the larger bin with other similar colors. Pieces that are 1 yard or more are on boards similar to comic book boards As a board empties out, I pull another "larger piece" from a color bin and wrap it on the board. This works for me. It took time and multiple times of reorganization to fall upon this way of scrap storage for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2.5 Storage .jpg
Views:	139
Size:	596.3 KB
ID:	648581  
Old 05-16-2024, 04:06 PM

The smaller scraps I cut into 2 1/2" squares as I have a few patterns for scrappy quilts I'd like to try. I don't keep anything smaller than 2 1/2" square. The slightly larger scraps I either leave as is or I cut into 2 1/2" strips. The larger (less than a fat quarter sort of) get kept in a bin that is separate from my fat quarters. I find lots of patterns that call for a fat quarter often don't use the whole piece so I can often use these sorts of scraps to cut those pieces needed...
It's not a perfect system, and there are times I think of changing my "system" but nothing I've seen or read about seems better, so here I sit....
Old 05-16-2024, 07:53 PM

I tried cutting up my scraps but then never had the right size when I needed that color. But if I know I am going to be making a specific type of quilt - ie: an I Spy Quilt with 5 inch squares or 3 inch hexagons I will cut them out before putting the fabric away. And I just separate them by colors or themes (Christmas, Halloween, Valentines, & Florals).
Old 05-16-2024, 08:55 PM

I sort by color. Don’t precut sizes. I do use the scraps and the drawer stays ruffle the same fullness
Old 05-17-2024, 03:57 AM

Yes----and no. I get a lot of other people's scraps. When I go through the bag, there are often strips and squares already cut to specific sizes. Those go into the appropriate bins. Irregular scraps are cut down to 1.5 and up strips or squares. Anything larger goes into another tote. I wish I was as organized as some who also sort into colour groups, but I'm not. I do a lot of scrappy tops so maybe the non organization works for me.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:08 AM

I used Bonnie Hunter's method for scraps for many years....cut to different sizes, kept in drawers in color families. But over time I found that I started feeling guilty when I used yardage ..... I swear those scraps were haunting me!! 😂😂😂So I donated it all to a local quilter who does handwork. I still can't believe how light I feel without that guilt of not using it all up! Best decision ever!!👌👌 So now I only save strips or 6.5" blocks.