Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
After all these years - >

After all these years -

After all these years -

Old 05-18-2024, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
For me it's the dishwasher - always a face full of steam fogging my glasses, instead of standing aside of the machine.
I run the dishwasher every 3 days or so. With only 2 of us here, it just isn't full all that fast.

Anyhow, I start it at night when I go to bed. By the time I get up, the heat and steam have dissipated and it's not so unpleasant to unload it.
Old 05-19-2024, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I run the dishwasher every 3 days or so. With only 2 of us here, it just isn't full all that fast.

Anyhow, I start it at night when I go to bed. By the time I get up, the heat and steam have dissipated and it's not so unpleasant to unload it.
Oh, so glad I am not the only one who runs the dishwasher only twice a week. As a singleton plus cat, I will run out of spoons or water glasses before the dishwasher is full enough to run a load.

After all these years, I will forget and flip the light switch automatically when I enter a room. The sun is shinning why do I need light. I find I do this even when the power is out and I am carrying a flashlight so I can see. DUH!

Anyone leave a window down in the car so it doesn't get too hot and then the next morning discover it rained? Wet seat. Another DUH. Just put the car in the garage, silly goose.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:10 AM

Have you ever snipped the skin between your thumb and index fingers while thinking this is not a good idea:?
Old 05-19-2024, 06:27 AM

Ah, I started the dish washer in an apartment before going to bed, it flooded my kitchen and the one downstairs too before I could shut it off! sort of hated them ever since.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:35 AM

I don't really have anything like that, at least not that I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there is something!

But my husband does all kinds of things that drive me bonkers! He leaves multiple cupboard doors open, both kitchen and bathroom. He leaves lights on in empty rooms. He leaves the water in the bathroom sink running "for the cat" but she's been laying next to me for the last 3 hours. He leaves the fridge door open while he makes himself a sandwich. He leaves our truck unlocked constantly, and he gets annoyed with me because I keep the front door of our house locked (I've had salesmen try to enter our home uninvited, and if we get a good wind gust, the door will actually blow open if it's not locked).
Old 05-21-2024, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

I'm still married to t the same man - 64 years today. We still annoy each other at times - but it's way too much bother to try and catch and train a new one. Besides, neither one of us wants to move again. Maybe out to the couch if one of us is snoring really loudly.

Kind of funny - he will "notice" if I have left a light or the TV on - but he left the radio on for hours and the multiple lights on in the garage when he was not in there. Apparently, the electric meter only ran when I did not turn something off if I was not using it that minute.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:09 PM

Oh Bear, I am beginning to think that most (retired) men are cut from the same bolt of cloth. It is almost 52 years for us and mine has become more work and less fun every year since he retired. Right now, he is stretched out in his Lazy Boy having a pre dinner nap 'because it was such a chore to take the dog into the back yard and sit on the deck for half an hour' while I fed the cats and prepped supper.

But, like you, I am not interested in starting the whole 'other half' quest again. At the beginning of this month, he and our 49 year old son (my sweet darling boy who gave his dear mother such a wonderful gift of time to herself!!!) went to Ireland for 12 days. I was happy to have an email or video chat with the DH every day, but I honestly d i d n o t m i s s him at all. Just wish he could have taken his needy dog with him. Now that would have been a perfect holiday for me!!

I have found that this new fangled personal cell phone instead of a home telephone line could easily be marketed as an exercise program. I am constantly going up and down the stairs to find/retrieve/search for (happens more often than I'd like) or answer the danged thing!!
Old 05-22-2024, 02:48 AM

I have learned that, when I leave stuff cooking either on the stove or in the oven and it starts to smell good, it's probably done and I should rescue it before it burns!
Old 05-22-2024, 05:16 AM

When I leave stuff cooking on stove, I set a 5-10 minute timer so that I don't forget about it!
When someone tells me that the timer is going off, I tell them that it is not done-timer is just a suggestion.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
mine has become more work and less fun every year since he retired. Right now, he is stretched out in his Lazy Boy having a pre dinner nap 'because it was such a chore to take the dog into the back yard and sit on the deck for half an hour' while I fed the cats and prepped supper.
Your comment made me think of my sweet grandmother. She is 91 and lives at the Wrinkle Ranch. She enjoys it immensely - 2 meals a day (which is plenty for her), lots of friends, lots of games and fun activities. She and my grandfather (who passed in 2021) moved there several years ago, but he was very reluctant to go. I think he had this image in his head of laying in bed in a ward all day until he finally died, so he fought it for a long time. Finally my grandma had enough and snapped. She told him he'd been retired for the last 25 years, but SHE was still cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, doing laundry and yard work, and she wanted to retire too!! I think it took him by surprise; he'd never looked at those chores as "work". Sigh. Good for Grandma, I cheered her on.