Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Cut Your Scraps into Pre Cut Sizes? >

Do You Cut Your Scraps into Pre Cut Sizes?

Do You Cut Your Scraps into Pre Cut Sizes?

Old 05-19-2024, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I have the AccuQuilt Studio 2, the same big, heavy machine that Bonnie Hunter uses to cut her scraps. I bought only the strip cutting dies, but with them I can cut most sizes of squares and rectangles by rotating the strips and cutting again. So cutting fabric into various sizes takes very little time for me. Because of this, with a growing collection of scraps, I started cutting some of my leftovers into mostly strips and some rectangles, but I'm having a hard time actually using those precut pieces. In the past I've made a lot of truly scrappy log cabin quilts from 1.5" strips, and I'm sure I'll make more since I truly love log cabins, but I've already cut enough strips (and even cut some of them to the lengths I will use in a log cabin) to last me for years and years. At the beginning of this year I set a goal to make lots of scrappy quilts, but so far I've been focused on other things, such as making a quilt with a collection of fabrics that I was gifted, or using up some of the kits that I bought when Craftsy/Bluprint was in business. Quilting with scraps seems to require a different mindset, and different habits, and I think it will take a while for me to develop those.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I don't cut scraps because I never have the ones i want. I just wait until I need them. I don't save a lot of scraps though. They make me nervous lol
Old 05-19-2024, 09:29 AM

I don't have a huge amount of scraps and the ones I have are sorted in shoe size plastic boxes by 2 1/2"; greater than 2 1/2 but less than 3 1/2 etc There's only 5 boxes I think and #5 is for all greater than 5 1/2". I'd rather wait to see what I'll need for a project.
the 2 1/2: box is getting pretty full so I'll have to plan a scrappy quilt this year for sure(or get another box).
Old 05-19-2024, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Unless I'm working from one of the few kits I've purchased, I'm totally a scrap quilter. If red is required I use every red I've got
I like smaller pieces, so from scraps I cut 2",2.5" and 1.5" strips, and squares from that. It has worked wonderfully for my sewing and each day I sew I run across scaps I've purchased from members here Life is good! I seldom cut from my strips until my squares are getting down.
this is 2.5" stached by color, and neutral strings.

your squares are so yummy…has to be fun turning them into a lovely scrap quilt…great idea 💡

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 05-19-2024, 06:00 PM

I tried cutting my scraps down into specific sizes, but it didn't work for me. When I wanted blue scraps, I had to rummage through 5 different boxes to find it all. Now I just throw all the scraps into 2 divided drawers, keeping nothing under 2.5 inches, but sorting by color. It has worked well for me. I believe that all backs and bindings must be scrappy, so I frequently hit the scrap drawers to stretch a backing or binding into the size I need. I've only made a couple of scrappy quilts, so my drawers are starting to overflow.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

I spent weeks cutting and sorting my scraps. They have followed me through two house moves. I still have them in bins, never used. I stopped saving scraps for myself.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:02 AM

I find it more useful to just sort by color family, then when I want to do a scrappy, I can just pick fabric from my colors. I do however, have some show box sized clear plastic boxes for shapes and sizes I may have left over. So, I have boxes for strings, strips, and some squares like 2, 2.5, and 5 inch ones. I do not like cutting into yardage for a variety of smaller red squares and this saves me from doing that.

Last edited by sewingpup; 05-20-2024 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
your squares are so yummy…has to be fun turning them into a lovely scrap quilt…great idea 💡

Judy in Phx, AZ
we are on the road, I kit up a number of projects to keep me going. This is one from my 2.5" scrap boxes
It is just a disappearing 9 patch, bu it is coming up scrapolicious and complicated enough to keep my brain engaged. the blocks are 10.5" unfinished.
Quilters really need to know they love making scrap quilts rather than matched fabric quilts and what size squares you generally like to work with. or it is a pointless endeavor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dis9patch.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	905.4 KB
ID:	648602   Click image for larger version

Name:	jambalaya1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	648603   Click image for larger version

Name:	dis9pat2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	862.9 KB
ID:	648604  
Old 05-21-2024, 03:58 AM

Love your mini design walls!! They are just what I need for my pixel quilts. I line up 10 rows of 10 squares at my sewing machine to stitch together. I knew I'd learn something from this post!
Old 05-21-2024, 04:33 AM

I have a full wall at one machine at home and a 60X60 across the room. I couldn't make quilts without one this one is 40X40 is to fit the space in the RV. I cut down a shoji screen and glued on batting. working walls don't have to be expensive or complicated. Many quilters use the flannel side of a vinyl tablecloth. I tried that last year while traveling but didn't care for it. I've also used a big oldfashion roll up blind with flannel glued to it. Whatever works