Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any thoughts on batting for a hand quilter? >

Any thoughts on batting for a hand quilter?

Any thoughts on batting for a hand quilter?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:19 PM

Location: keeping the home fire burning and waiting for my son's safe return

Another Warm and Natural user here. I only hand quilt and have used it in 2 queen size, 2 full size and many other sizes without any problems.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:35 PM

FOR hand quilting-Wool is no problem to wash. Just be sure to make sure it is pre-shrunk and washable. Nothing like it for hand quilting.
Poly is not bad either. Warm & Natural is like fighting the quilt.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:15 PM

what happened to Thermore? that's not on your list
Old 03-13-2010, 08:38 PM

I always use the low loft polyester I get at Walmart.( the ones that still sell it) I never have any trouble and the quilts can be washed often.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 PM

My favorite bat is hobbs 80/20, it's wonderful to quilt thru.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by judy o
what happened to Thermore? that's not on your list
I am going revise the list with my 11 year old daughter. She is working with charts and graphs this week in school. It will be a fun lesson for the both of us.
Harry
Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 AM

Woody1229, I use wool for most of my quilts because of the ease of quilting by hand, it breaths, it lays very nice on the bed.
When I start any quilt project, for some reason, I wash everything. I wash the materials for the top, the batting and the backing. I put the batting in the washer, fill it with water, let is soak for a bit, then drain the water. I don't put it in the dryer, but lay it across my cloths line until it dries. The newer products are far and away better then they used to be.
If you are a hand quilter, you should try a small project with wool before investing in a large quilt.
Good luck, Pam
Old 03-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by woody1229
Could someone elaborate on the issue of wool batting with regard to washing? Do you soak wool batting before using it? What happens if you wash a quilt that has wool batting?

Thanks!
I found this information about different types of Hobbs brand batting online that may be helpful:

http://www.how-to-quilt.com/articles...-batting.shtml

If you click on the report in this article, you get a lot of specific information about each type of batting. This report says that the Hobbs Heirloom wool batting has *no* shrinkage! It also says to be careful if you are using it with very dark fabrics. The bonding process is supposed to inhibit bearding, but with this caution you know that it can still beard through some types of dark fabric.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by sylvia77
My favorite bat is hobbs 80/20, it's wonderful to quilt thru.
My favorite is also the Hobbs 80cotton/20poly. It quilts easily hand or machine, drapes nicely and isn't as heavy as warm & natural. I have used w&n on several quilts, but it is a little more difficult to hand quilt thru and feels lots heavier when laying on you. I have used polys also, but don't like the bearding from 100% poly. Don't use wool - allergic. Haven't tried bamboo, but with their hollow fibers that grab & hold water, don't expect I will (just don't have triple the time and space to dry a quilt because of bamboo batting).
Old 03-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Well I'm a newbie so I may change my mind with time. But for me I want high loft that's really going to show the quilting. So I go with a high poly. I hand quilt but I don't do it the normal way. I pretty much go down through the material then move my hand underneath and grab the needle then shove it through to the top. Takes forever. But I love the way it looks so that's what I do. I can't work the inbetweens for anything. I can't even see the eyes to thread them.

So hi-loft poly is the one for me for quilts.