Do you spoil your dogs ?

Old 03-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Google Goddess

Hi,

We give him salt free crackers, and when I am eating sometimes he gets a little meat, baked potatoes or the small potatoes, but not much, that way he thinks he gets a treat.

Also we give him a little ice cream on top of his dog food. He is so spoiled.

Also when we go out to eat and orders salads, we bring him back the crackers in the small packages. I tell him a surprise, he thinks he is big stuff. He knows I have them in my purse. Yes he is spoiled. He also sleeps with me on the couch and also in the bed.

Originally Posted by retired teacher
Crafty bear, does your dog eat human food? Lily sleeps with us, but likes to keep our feet warm:)
Old 03-26-2010, 04:12 PM

I use crackers when I want to brush my baby. she had a bad experience with a groomer (that we no longer use) - brushing makes her very nervous and she often gets upset. If she is eating she is less aware of being brushed
Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

But of course we do :lol:
Old 03-26-2010, 04:18 PM

We longer have our dog, but while she was alive, for the last 3 years, we took her for a car ride every evening. She lived to be almost 14, which is very old for her breed (lab mix), and I think our spoiling lengthened her life and her enjoyment.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by retired teacher
..Athome what do you fix for your babies?
Hi,

Our recipe is basic, by proportion:
1/3 protein (either beef, chicken, or pork)
1/3 mixed veggies, pureed
1/3 whole brown rice

We buy the food through our local restaurant supply grocer (United Cash and Carry).

The veggies are pureed after cooking because all dogs have very short digestive tracks. If the veggies are not broken down like this then the dogs pass them whole.
Since we have three active boxers, we use 5 pounds portions. We toss 5 pounds of frozen mixed veggies in a big roaster, place in five pounds of ground beef (for instance) and bake on low all night. Also, fill the big rice cooker with brown rice and set it's timer to have it finished in the morning. Then, the next morning all are tossed together through the BIG 12-cup Kitchenaide food processor so that the veggies get broken down. The whole batch goes into the refrigerator and is enough to last for 4 days or so.

They love it, and we know what they are eating. :) :)
Old 03-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Of course, my dogs are spolied. What other way would have a dog? Our 15 yr old Husky, ancient for his breed, eats canned catfood (yes we know it's not good for him) but it is practically the only pet food he'll eat. All 3 of ours get people food, just stuff from the table. Before children, lo those many years ago, we would fix our 2 dogs a plate of whatever we were eating. Not scraps but a plate for each of them. We no longer do that but they do get table scraps, leftovers from the fridge and omelette if DH has made me one. I cannot stand the smell or taste of one anymore.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 AM

Oh yes our dogs are spoiled. Both our laps dogs and go just about everywhere with us. Yes my children tell me all the time that the dogs are spoiled more than what they ever were. One sleeps with us the other sleeps right next to the bed. When cooking our meat we always cook extra for them. We are empty nesters and don't know what we would do without those two doggies.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:50 AM

My daughter just made the comment the other day that my Andy is treated better than she was as a kid. Well of course. He adores me completely, is crazy excited when I come home, doesn't back talk,and when I send him to his room he goes. All he wants in return is some pats, treats, a short walk and to be near me. What's not to spoil??
Old 03-27-2010, 05:55 AM

Yes, spoiled but no people food. The two big dogs think that getting an ice cube is the best treat around. The yorkie sleeps with us, the other two sleep on the floor next to the bed (one per side). Aren't dogs supposed to be spoiled? The cat has his own bedroom, dd can't believe it, but we are emptynesters.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:56 AM

I'm not spoiled just well taken care of, by the staff.

That reminds me I have an appointment with the groomer tomorrow. My appearance is very important to my mental health.