Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid? >

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:07 AM

I FORGOT, in addition to the meat thing I mentioned...I WOULD NEVER DRINK MILK(unless it was in a very very thick mllkshake so it was more like ice cream. Strangly, I did drink Buttermilk. lol I loved Buttermilk, which people couldnt believe. I remember in kindergarten getting in trouble because I would not drink the milk. I still only drink buttermilk, love that stuff.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM

Parsnips, cooked spinach, (raw was ok), oysters, canned peas, (like fresh or frozen), lima beans, and blood sausage. Pretty much anything else was fair game.

My dad and I were the only ones in our family that liked liver, so that would be a treat for me to get up early on a Saturday and have liver and onions with my dad. :D

Patti
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Velveeta cheese (can't stand it), brussel sprouts (the worst).
If you had some Velveeta melted with Rotel Tomatoes & green chilies & tortillas chips you might like it. Standard fare in Texas. Sometimes we fry up pork sausage or ground beef & put in it. Some folks call it Caseo. It is mighty good.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 AM

I drank milk straight from the barn too! Remember how warm it was straight from the cow? I couldn't get it down today , but it was wonderful a lifetime ago.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:40 AM

PZAZZ, What is blood sausage?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Originally Posted by wvdek
Velveeta cheese (can't stand it), brussel sprouts (the worst).
If you had some Velveeta melted with Rotel Tomatoes & green chilies & tortillas chips you might like it. Standard fare in Texas. Sometimes we fry up pork sausage or ground beef & put in it. Some folks call it Caseo. It is mighty good.
Omg, a heart-attack in a bowl...LOL
Old 03-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Lentils! Every Saturday was house cleaning day (the kind where even the attic steps were dusted and NOBODY EVER WENT IN THE F***** attic) Oh boy - seem to have some unresolved issues left. lol

Anyway, my mom would put a pot of something on the boil and that was Saturday dinner. Lentils were the worst for me. It looked like mop water and frankly, didn't taste much better. I am however the only one in the family who does not like that dish.

Last time I visited, my mom had to go somewhere and she apologized profusely that she wouldn't be there to cook for me - BUT she had prepared a large pot of LENTILS. I asked her why she was punishing me? We both got a chuckle out of that.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Lentils! Every Saturday was house cleaning day (the kind where even the attic steps were dusted and NOBODY EVER WENT IN THE F***** attic) Oh boy - seem to have some unresolved issues left. lol

Anyway, my mom would put a pot of something on the boil and that was Saturday dinner. Lentils were the worst for me. It looked like mop water and frankly, didn't taste much better. I am however the only one in the family who does not like that dish.

Last time I visited, my mom had to go somewhere and she apologized profusely that she wouldn't be there to cook for me - BUT she had prepared a large pot of LENTILS. I asked her why she was punishing me? We both got a chuckle out of that.
Girl, you are too much. :thumbup:
Old 03-27-2010, 03:48 PM

boy there were lots that I didn't like as a kid but love em now, including mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, and sweet potatoes. Probably more but that's a good start.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 03-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Cheese. I wouldn't eat anything that had cheese on it. I was the only kid I knew that hated mac and cheese. I was a skinny kid because everything had cheese on it.