Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with outlived quilts? >

What do you do with outlived quilts?

What do you do with outlived quilts?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Auntie M
I'll be watching as I have some well worn from childhood also!
I've used worn out bed size quilts as batt for new quilts.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM

one of my great aunts (living in Canada) knit a receiving size blanket, then mailed it to another great aunt (living in the Netherlands) who stitched tiny intricate flowers on it. it was for my baptism. all my kids used that blanket for their baptisms, and so did my grandbabies....

my dh built a large shadow box frame for it, with hinges so we can take it out for the next grandbaby.

this is the first thing (o/t kids) i would get if my house was on fire before i left...

i say keep it....you never know who will want it or appreciate it down the road!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

I can't quite believe that anyone would get rid of something so special. I would definitely hang on to it. She may appreciate that you did someday. Right now maybe she's just too busy or whatever to realize. Then again, some people just aren't sentimental.
I have all my kids special hand-knit clothing, blankies, etc and even though all my kids are boys they really want me to keep them for "someday". I guess the nut doesn't fall far from the tree or whatever that expression is :D
Old 03-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Banned

I would fix it and store it under a mattress for her, give it back to her on her own baby shower. Penny
Old 03-30-2010, 04:48 PM

my mother made both our sons quilts and now when they had children of their own I gave them the quilts.
The one daughter in law loves it and has cherished it. The other I'm not sure. I think if you get rid of the quilt in years you might be sorry? kjym Kathy
Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Get a little cradle and doll and cover it, put it on display in the house. Make it into a teddy bear and save it. Or just pack away with Christening outfit and give to child when they marry.

Margie
Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 PM

My thoughts...maybe with a picture from the appropriate time period?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Wonderful ideas...definitely save it. At the moment she seems to be having a clear out and fresh start mindset, which is great. Some time down the track she may feel differently, and if it has been in your tender care you can then hand it back, transformed or not.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
Do you think your daughter may want it back some day if she has children of her own? I would clean it and pack it away in acid free tissue and when she has her own child pull it back out. You may even ask the maker to "fix it up" first, then pack it away.
Very good advice.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 PM

I think that since your daughter and the maker are still friends, the honest thing to do is to explain her case. I am certain her friend is flattered for all its years of service and may know someone else who would like it. I guess my main point is better to be honest than get yourself into a corner years from now.

FREE Quilting Newsletter