Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I don't know why that wouldn't work Lesley if you are ok with only the SID showing on the back. That would be a personal decision. I'll be interested to know if you like how your mock up looks. It would work to machine quilt the blocks in the same manner that you are talking about...
Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Power Poster

Next question - what kind of batting are you all contemplating, and are you going to pre wash? I've just read that Warm and Natural say that if you don't pre wash, the shrinkage is estimated at 3%. These quilts don't come out all that large in the first place (80 in square without the curved edge), so do I wash first, or don't I?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I would most surely wash it if I go that direction Lesley. I think I'm going to check on maybe a wool or something other than the W/N. I've always used it and I love it, but it tends to get so stiff when there is much quilting on it. I think that either Kathy or Jackie said that they use a wool...I'm going to have to go back and check.

I've also been reading a Civil War Diary Quilt book that Esq (my Secret Santa) gave me last Christmas. They have pics of lots of small block. They were rarely quilted in the ditch. Lots of them have melon type quilting patterns on them..I'm going to look into doing it more that way so I won't be turning the quilt...just more of a FM type quilting.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I think that wool batting would perhaps have more drape - but I'm willing to bet that it will be much more expensive. I don't think it's an option for me, I doubt if it's available here anyway. I realise that I could have it shipped over here, but that would just be an extra expense.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 AM

I don't know enough about the quilt as you go method to really offer an opinion. The only thing I can think to say against it as that it wasn't really a method they used back then...so it would sort of make it that much less "authentic" but I don't know that you, or any of us, is going for that. I also love to see the stitching on the back...

As for batting, I'll go with warm and natural, and likely am not going to wash. I did not wash my fabrics ahead of time. I also really, really want to just hang this on the wall, and it's likely I won't ever wash it. Some of my blocks are barely holding together, so it won't stand up to much abuse, for sure!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Are you planning on hand quilting, or machine Esq.? What do you mean your blocks are barely holding together??? Are you hoping the quilting will do that job for you?

If you are planning to hang it on the wall, it will need to be fairly strong, because it has to support it's own weight. Mind you, it will certainly be a great talking point, not to mention something beautifull to look at.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:51 PM

Lesley, I think it's a great idea. We did something similar many many years ago.
Has anyone used Bamboo batting?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:16 PM

I posted a thread for weeks 1-13. If you'd like to post yours, it's available at http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-41904-1.htm (under pictures).
HAPPY WEEK OFF!!! =)
Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

I have not used the bamboo bating but I have talked to a bunch of people that have, and not just the ladies at the lqs, 100% bamboo is linty, so it you are handling it a lot there is that to deal with, but on the long arm it isn't bad as you don't handle it a bunch, 50/50 cotton bamboo apparently is a bit easier and less linty, he quilter I talked to said she prefered it to the warm and natural. She does work at a fabric store, and she isn't just trying to make a sale, the blend is cheaper than the warm and natural, she hand quilts. Haling read some on it as well you are supposed to prewash the blend.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Are you planning on hand quilting, or machine Esq.? What do you mean your blocks are barely holding together??? Are you hoping the quilting will do that job for you?

If you are planning to hang it on the wall, it will need to be fairly strong, because it has to support it's own weight. Mind you, it will certainly be a great talking point, not to mention something beautifull to look at.
I'm still debating but leaning toward spending considerable time handquilting...just to add to the fun! I would not be able to follow the schedule if I did that as I believe I would spread it out over a considerable period. And yes...there are parts of the piecing that is very short, and I figured it would get dealt with when I do the quilting! I plan to put a good sleeve on the back for hanging and would welcome any suggestions people have for hanging it. If it's not too large, there's always the possibility of framing it...it would depend on the cost.