Newbies challenge

Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Took me a while to figure out how to PM too. Click on the person's board name - on my screen it is in blue. This gives you their info, and you will see PM also in blue. Click it, and it gives you a little screen to type a private message.

Originally Posted by Fabricnut
Thanks Jolo. I just did binding last night and I had trouble with mitres on the back side. Front side did okay. I'm dreading binding on the first quilt as it turned out to be king size. My poor quilter person had to take the borders off. I didn't know you were suppose to square it up before adding a border. No wonder it grew. I'll have to figure out how to private message you soon.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm new here, but I think everyone needs help in some area! Like I make lone stars by the dozen, I can hand quilt on a hoop or frame, and some other skills, but I want to learn to paper piece. I guess I can easily find a tutor for that here when I'm ready to try it!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM

I am still learning and have lots of questions. I am also kind of a 'problem child' because I'm left-handed which has made it much harder for me to learn to cut out fabric with a rotary cutter. I have learned to Paper Piece from Carol Doak fairly well, but lack confidence in many other areas. My Quilt in the Ditch & FMQ is not the best; and, no matter how hard I try, I have trouble making my blocks come out all the same size. Anyone want to adopt me or just give me some helpful suggestions?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:10 AM

If you would like to be added to the group activity click on my screen name or icon. Then click on Send PM. That is how you get on the list to be adopted or to adopt others. That way I'll know you want to be added.
Please include what you want to teach/learn and any thing else you consider important.

If you want to check out the membership page for how the adoptions work go to the home page and scroll down until you see group activities then look for the one called, "Quilting Adoptions (help a newbie)", and click on it.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:27 PM

I feel like a newbie haven't been into quilting for too long and get stuck quite often but I pick beg. intermediate and read the instructions over and over but my quilts always look ok but nothing to brag about. lol
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 PM

anglgrl you have been registered. Congrats! Now check out the group activities page "quilting adoptions, (help a newbie)" and pm who you think might best be able to help you.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ChristinaQltnKY
cutbuns I'd love for you to adopt me. One farm/country gal to another. Nutty my foot - I bet your'e a hoot. Here's hoping

I would love to adopt you!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:16 AM

I would love to be a quilt mommy. I have been quilting for several years but just started doing FM about 3 years ago and some times it looks great and sometimes not so great. I have done PP and applique. I read in one of the posts that mitered borders were a problem, I am doing a demonstration on mitered borders at the next embroidery club meeting and will be putting together a handout, I would be happy to share it with the board if that is allowed.

Gail in Utah
Old 04-12-2010, 03:37 AM

I so lost track of this thread. I did check in which my "daughters" last week.
To all the new newbees, I am working on a sampler project week by week with my adoptees, and invite you to join in. It has been named Pioneer Sampler for Adoptees. Sorry I don't know how to add the link.
"Mom"
Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 AM
Banned

[quote=roselady

:oops: I want to learn hand quilting, can we do that over the computer?[/quote]

I don't think so :-D :-D I can't be anyones Mommy I would be like their Great great great Granny. I hand piece, applique and quilt EVERYTHING. I don't think it is to hard to figure out how a needle and thread work. :-D