Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Donate or not to Donate >

To Donate or not to Donate

To Donate or not to Donate

Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I just received an update from the coordinator of the event. This quilt went for $255 and a smaller scrappy quilt went for $85.

It didn't end up so bad but I stil question whether to do it again next year.
At least the people bidding knew that it was worth more than $30. I have learned in life, that once you give something away for any reason, you just have to let it go. It's hard, but much less painful than the bad feelings.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 PM

So sorry you had such a dreadful experience. A few years ago I donated 2 queensize quilts, one at a time 2 different years to our local Fire Co Aux to raffle. I also made the tickets, no expense to them. The quilts were on display different places that the ladies went to sell tickets for about 3 months. The ladies really worked at this project. We are a little country community with a volunteer fire department. The 2 quilts made them $3000. I could not donate that much so I was glad to donate and they did the work of selling the tickets.
Ruth
Old 04-21-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Basically a good idea, but run this by your accountant. I am saving receipts, thank you letters , and photographing my donated quilts & baby hats (knitted). I'll see what happens at tax time next year. I am happy to help others but it does add up. Well, it's my therapy!
dotcom, I do exactly the same thing, I save it all and I use them when doing my taxes. It also helps to get a receipt from the charity that you've donated to with a discription of the item and the estimated value. In the past I've donated to a children's hospice and they've sent me forms to fill out which include the item and the value. Once I fill it out, I make a copy for my records and send them the original, this way they have records of my donations as well.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 PM

I have learned that a quilt to be raffled over a period of time does MUCH better than an auction at a one day/evening event. The people who come to those events do not come there to spend a lot of money on one item. They don't expect high priced items, and so don't bid much. For a raffle, though, you can get several hundred dollars over a period of a couple of months. It works out much better, especially if you have a few people working the raffle sales. Our quilt guild does an opportunity quilt every other year, and our last one had ticket sales of over $10,000. We do make very exceptional quilts!! :thumbup:
Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 PM

I have in mind what I want to happen with a quilt or sewing project before I donate it.

If it's something that I don't mind if it's put on a table with a $30 price tag, or it's put into a silent auction with a low starting bid, I don't dictate the terms of the donation. That pretty much sums up 90% of what I donate. My (hopeful)feeling is that someone will get an opportunity to buy something that they absolutely loved and appreciated but could never afford to buy unless it was sold in that manner.

If it's something I don't want to see "given away", I dictate the terms and I'm there to be sure what I asked to be done is being done. I only donate one type of quilt that I feel is worthy of an live auction. It always brings a good price, and I make sure it hits the live auction and isn't waylaid by a well-meaning individual who has decided to make a decision contrary to my terms.

And don't be afraid to toot your own horn and show off your workmanship to whoever is accepting the donation. If that person sees the work you've put in, they will see $$ potential and not put it on a table for 30 bucks.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Sorry your time and work were not fully appreciated.
Years ago my cousin did absolutely beautiful hand quilting. She passed away and her daughters did not even offer to sell her quilts to mom or me. They took them to Calif and sold them I was told. But I finally got two table toppers made by her at an auction. (In a pile of tea towels,hand towels and such for $5.00) At least I have some of her work now and she is the one who got me interested in quilting.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 PM

ditto what sewgull said
Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Dear Mary: I have learned through the years that no one can really account for your fine work, and you'll also get your feelings hurt with such an amount on an auction. Donate $30. per quilt, but why not ask to have the two hanging just showing how beautiful that is before and forget about the interest afterward. Give your quilt to someone who knows and appreciates you.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

I think a raffle is the only thing worth doing. People find them fun and all those $1-$2 tickets end up raising lots of needed funds. I can understand how you feel, but as others have said - not everyone can appreciate the time, effort and heart that goes into creative pursuits such as quilting, jewelry making and the like.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 PM

My church quilt group made an Oklahoma Centennial a couple of years ago four our local Lottie Moon Christmas Auction and it brought in $2000. It has since been presented to our pastor and his wife who have plans to display it in the main hall of the church at the Welcome Center. So now every year they asked our group,Sonshine Quilters, to make a quilt for the Adult 3 Sunday School Class to auction off.