Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini Irons >

Mini Irons

Mini Irons

Old 04-26-2010, 04:04 PM

I use spray startch with mine. I spray it in a small container, then apply it with a small brush to the fabric and then iron away! It works great and isn't messy. It does take a few minutes to heat up, but it stays hot until I turn it off.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM

Yes that little stand it comes with isn't worth much is it, I will try the cup tonight and forget about that stand. It really does get hot and I would like to try the starch with it.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM

I bought the Mini Clover several years ago because I like to do applique. Still in the wrapper! Never got around to using it but I think I will try it very soon. Glad to know that a coffee mug is the ideal stand for it. I think that is why I haven't used it. No stand. LOL Appreciate the input from everyone who knows how they are to use.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:36 PM

I like the Hobbico Sealing Iron. I get a better seam with it than I do with the clover mini iron, and I find it easier to use.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 PM

I sent you a PM, hexagonquilter
Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
Nice thread, some interesting ideas.

Has anyone got/tried this mini iron as shown this time in the Keepsake Quilting catalog?
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...TE-PRESS7trade;IRON-HOLDER.htm
Looks like yet another gadget I would love to have but don't need - my kids don't call me the "gadget queen" for nothing!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 AM

Yesterday I used my new little iron. The cord stayed in and I left it on most of the day as I was sewing on DJane blocks most of the day. It stayed on and no problem.It fit my budget much better than 30.95 plus tax for a new clovser. Now we will see how long it holds up as compared to the clover. Jolo
Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac
"gadget queen"
Lordy lordy I hearya. I almost can't get out of the store or close a catalog if there is something on offer that I don't have already.
In fact, I just bought a little Living Solutions sewing machine combo kit. Don't care really anything for the handheld one, but the little sewing machine sews fine for the toy size that it is.
Lightweight of course, but heavy enough to stay put on the table whilst sewing.
I'm thinking to make one of my minis with it, just for fun.

I've bought several repro toy sizes and minis over the years, some old and some newer, so this one will go on a shelf with them. It's a collection, dontchaknow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-21443.jpe
Views:	106
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	21443  
Old 04-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by margaret light
Has anybody used, tried, have an opinion on the Clover Mini Irons? I wanted to purchase one for appliqueing, but have read some really negative remarks on Joann's "review this product" section. They seem expensive, and I do not want to spend that kind of money if they really are a "flop". Thanks for your input, as always I am sure it will be worth its weight in knowledge. Bea
I don't know what brand it is, but I used a friend's at the last mini-quilt bee session I went to. I had always thought they were pretty much an unnecessary tool if one had a small travel iron, which I do. But this was so neat to use. My tiny little blocks were pressed perfectly with it. The only adverse reaction was that it gets very hot on the non-ironing part of it. You have to be careful. It's an extremely hot iron!

8-)
Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Don't push the metal tip with your finger as I for reason decided to do. It's HOT!