Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with new machine >

Help with new machine

Help with new machine

Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 AM

Check to see if your dealer will give you private classes - that's what I did. I bought the Bernina 440 - with the BSR and the embroidery package. I love that machine but I also know I don't use it to its full potential - yet. I'd suggest you take it out of the closet and use it for piecing so you get used to it. You might be able to find some tutorials on the Bernina website that will help. Another thought - if you belong to a guild maybe one of the members is a Bernina user who would be willing to help you get started.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:42 AM

Karole,you can do it. I felt like I had made a big mistake buying my 440. I couldnt seem to get comforable with it. Just kept trying and now a year later I love it. I still get out my manuel and find out things about it I didn't know about. Pm me if I can help I will. I don't have the embroidery module tho.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Dkm

I have a 640 also. Bernina has classes on mastering your machine. With these classes they have a guide book. Call the dealer and ask for a copy. It takes you through several projects.
I was told to sit down and read the book over and over, then go back and highlight info. As for embroidery it takes practice. For me it has been live and learn.
If I can help in any other way PM me. I don't claim to know a lot, but will give it a try.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Momwood
My dealer told me I would learn to love it because of the seperate motor that allows me to sew and rewind the bobbins at the same time. My problem is I have been unable to attend the classes due to a heart problem. I am only able to sit for an hour at a time right now.
Can you ask the dealer if they know any customers close to you that may be willing to help teach you how to use it and become comfortable with it? Or maybe a local quilt guild has a member to help. I'm sorry you can't take the lessons from where you bought it, as my dealer offers unlimited lessons. I can take the same class as many times as I want to. I hope you do give it a try though. I had a problem learning the front load bobbin also, but now it's cinch. Just takes practice.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:12 AM

You will NEVER believe this! I finally got the courage to try, thanks to you all, and I got it all out and tried to calibrate the embroidery module and it wouldn't respond so I called and the dealer tried to talk me through it and that didn't work so I had my husband take "us" in and the dealer said that something is wrong with my machine and I had to leave it. What luck! Anyway--- there you go--- my progress --- zero.
:? :?
I had trouble with my 830 when I bought it last year. I thought it was me, but it was the machine and mine had to be sent off. (Don't you hate that when it's brand new - especially with the travel time to and from the dealer?) It works like a charm now and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 AM

I felt this way when I got my new Bernina, and even worse when I got the embroidery module. The only thing that helped was taking some classes. It's a long way, I know, but you may need to bite the bullet and do it. Is there anyone in your area who might offer private lessons? Someone who has your machine? That might be a way to go too. I only needed one class to get me going. Maybe that's all you'll need.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM

I finally bought my new machine and I am really struggling with it. I decided to get a Bernina 640 with the embroidery module and a BSR that is supposed to help with free motion quilting. Everyone said I needed to have a dealer close to help with classes but the only dealer within 100 miles of here was a Bernina Dealer. I have always used a Singer and it has a top load bobbin. Bernina is a front bobbin. I HATE THAT! :-( I do like the seperate motor so I can load a bobbin and still sew. I am interested in the embroidery features but I am feeling overwhenlmed. I put it in the closet. Can anyone out there help me see the good in my investment? I am sad and so is my dear sweet hubby. :?
YouTube has Plenty of video instructions. Go there and type in your machine in the search! Just play around with it. You cna't hurt it! My dealer had me play around with mine for two weeks, just to get used to my machine. I don't have one as nice as yours ( Bernina Activa 230 PE I just purchased mine last month and I love it! I used to own a Whites Jeans machine and boy, What a difference! After getting acquainted with my new machine ( and getting over the heart problem over the cost) I am so glad I have it! I am discovering something new everyday! That, to me is the fun Part!
If you cannot go to your dealer, will he come to you or at least talk you through it over the phone? Give it a try! ?He may know someone close to you who would be willing to come over.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Don't give up! I have the 180, 150, 430 and 730E and love them all. Must say I was lucky to go to classes, but you can do it. Make yourself a number of 12" square muslin sandwiches. Pratice different stitches, techniques on each. Write on each piece what you did. Keep them for reference and refer back often. Soon everything will fall into place. Olivia
Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 PM

Can't help you but I have a Janome 6500 that has the capability of winding bobbins while sewing and in the 4 yrs that I have had it, I still take the time to wind bobbins while I am not sewing. Always afraid the threads are going to tangle into each other and would rather watch the bobbin fill.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 04-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia
Don't give up! I have the 180, 150, 430 and 730E and love them all. Must say I was lucky to go to classes, but you can do it. Make yourself a number of 12" square muslin sandwiches. Pratice different stitches, techniques on each. Write on each piece what you did. Keep them for reference and refer back often. Soon everything will fall into place. Olivia
Great Idea Olivia!

FREE Quilting Newsletter