Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
New format, good or bad?  What do others think? >

New format, good or bad? What do others think?

New format, good or bad? What do others think?

Old 11-28-2011, 10:56 PM

I'm tired of going through several days of postings and finding the same subjects over and over again. Unlike the old system where a subject showed in red there is no way to remember which subjects you have previously covered and you wind up reading the same thing more than once. This format takes up too much space and forces far more "mousing" than before. For someone like me that has arthritis it becomes very uncomfortable and sometimes painful to be covering unwanted material and stuff that was covered in previous days postings. This format is just too busssssssssssssy. One of the major reasons I liked this group was because of the simplicity. What happened? Did the quilting police take over?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:47 AM
Administrator

We have been online for 5 years and 18 days.
During those 5 years and 18 days there has never been a time during which somebody wasn't dissatisfied with something. The old format was changed more times than i can count or remember. The result was always the same: applause from some corners, complaints and arguments from others.

During the past 28 days, the developers have worked tirelessly to fix everything that didn't work as it was supposed to. They have also made countless changes that were based solely on our preferences. Over time, I imagine they will make more, but we cannot reasonably demand or expect them to happen instantly - or even as quickly as was the case during the past few weeks.

Topics we've read (which have always changed from bold titles to plain-text titles) will now change color, too. That's controlled by our browsers. If you colors aren't changing yet, then try clearing your cache/deleting temporary internet files; close the browser; re-open it and come back to the board. If they still don't change color then check your own customized browser settings to see if something there is preventing it.

When you click on "What's New" you'll see an index of the most recently added and updated threads. If a title is purple, you've already looked at that topic at least once. If the title is purple and bold, it's been updated since the last time you looked. If you go into that thread again, you will find a link to the first comment you haven't read yet. Furthermore, when you go back to "What's New", that topic will no longer be on the list until a new comment has been added.

If you want to narrow it down to only those topics added or updated within the past 24 hours, follow the steps below. It isn't a one-click option, but it narrows things more than our old "Recent Topics" did.
Go to What's New
Click on "Mark Forums Read"
Click again on “What's New”

It will give you the following "error" message:

vBulletin Message
Sorry, there are no new posts to view.

“You may search for posts updated during the previous 24 hours, here”

Click on the word "here" and you will see a list of things created or updated only during the previous 24 hours.

At this point, the only thing we don't have anymore is a one-click option that will list only those threads that we have never read at all. Considering all the new toys we have that we never had before, it more than balances out.

i'm not suggesting that anybody has an obligation to be 100% thrilled to pieces about the change. we are all human, so we'll each always have our individual quirks and preferences.

i'm only suggesting that by relentlessly focusing only on the negative, a person is most likely to never notice the positive - let alone explore it to discover the benefits.

Nostalgia is like a rear-view mirror. You can see what's left behind, but the reflection is not accurate.
it's also impossible to find your way forward if you only look back.