Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you let your housework go? >
  • Do you let your housework go?

• Do you let your housework go?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 AM

I have the house neat and clean and then piece tops. I can't work in confusion and am lucky enough to have family all grown and am now alone with a whole room for my sewing/quilting. Also I send my quilts out to be quilted as I have arthritis in wrists so do all sewing on my trusty Bernina.
    Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie
    Love it!

My floors have no food crumbs, as we have a 7 lb. dachshund.
    same here only he weighs a lot more than 7 lbs. LOL.....
    Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 AM

After reading these posts I realize I have to get off here and do some cleaning. LOL...haven't been quilting but the yard and garden needed a lot of help.
    Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 AM

I use to try & keep up. Then we moved from CA to NC in 97'. At first, I tried to do the same here. Got tired of it too. No company, almost never anyway, & DH doesn't help, & doesn't care, so I thought, why should it bother me, right! Now, like you, I clean if I know company is coming, & lol, & so does DH! Otherwise, I clean when it bothers me & I am in the mood to do some. Otherwise, I would rather be quilting, or doing other things I enjoy... I guess cleaning is for women who consider that their hobby, lol... I really like clean, I just don't like cleaning, especially when pretty soon, it's there to be done all over again, ugh!...
    Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow
    I use to clean my house every day. It was spotless. Everything dusted, carpets vacuumed, floors mopped, laundry washed daily, windows washed, deck, patio and driveway hosed off weekly. Then I discovered quilting. Now my house isn't spotless anymore. When someone is coming over, I tell them to give me an hour and I run around like mad trying to pick things up to make my house presentable. I still clean, but it's not a priority anymore. I don't clean daily like I use to. I would rather quilt. Any one else like that now that they found quilting?
    QUESTION: Do I let my housework go? It can go anywhere it wants, I'm not holding it captive.

Donah
    Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 AM

That was me, when the kids were at home, the house was cleaned every week whether it needed it or not. Now, that it's just my DH and me, he sweeps the floor and does the cooking (and usually the dishes), vacuums when I ask him to and I sew and watch NCIS. How cool is that!
    Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 AM

You know, when your kids were home and you were working, etc., you were YOUNGER then! Now, you may be on the downward side of your excess energy, early rising, rushing around. Take your time and enjoy your new life style. You've already been there, done that!
    Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 AM

Default Company

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
    You only come this way once so do whatever gives you joy. My house is picked up, beds made, dishes done, laundry usually caught up, and I do make decent suppers. It's a house well lived in. If anyone is coming over to judge my housekeeping or quilting skills, they need not bother!

AMEN! There are so many things that really matter and, as far as I am concerned, spotlessness is NOT one of them. Enjoy the day!
    Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Just curious, DH and I disagree on the company thing.....He wants to clean before and I say after they leave. It is usually DGC, so why before???????
    Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 AM

I saw something that made me think of this thread:
    "Instead of cleaning I just watched an episode of hoarders. I didn't realize how fantastic my house really looks!"
    Hugs
    April