Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need Advice on border for Crystal Star Pattern >
  • Need Advice on border for Crystal Star Pattern

• Need Advice on border for Crystal Star Pattern

Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 PM

The center is so dramatic that I think the border detracts from the beauty of the star. I'd bind in the same color, no border. Use the stripe in a pillow or sham or.....elsewhere in the room. You're the one who has to look at it, so leave it out where you can see it for a few days, with and without the border by it to help you decide.
    Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

To my thinking that lovely border is too traditional for that delightful quilt. You might want to consider a Jinny Beyer border print, although no additional border would work also.
    Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by doodledo
    I love the star. My eye draws to the border when I look at the picture. If it was mine, I would want the eye to be drawn to the star. I wouldn't put a border. But that's just me. It is very nice!
    I totally agree with doodledo, NO Border or at least not the one you are showing. Just a plain black if anything. That is stunning!
    Old 04-19-2013, 05:59 AM

I love your quilt and recognize all the effort that went into it. I have a border idea that I have used that came from a wall hanging of a salamander pattern that was done in primary colors. I call it "zip strip". You use all your rainbor colors as you go around the quilt and cut the ends where you join them on the bias. That seems to give movement to this. Put balck borders on each side to get the size you want. Since you used strips already cut, no extra labor involved. Bind in black to not destroy the effect of the rainbow strip. Hope I have explained this well enought, but if not, PM me and I will post a picture of the salamander.
    Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM

I would also leave the border off. The border just takes away from the beautiful star and your gorgeous work.
    Love it!
    Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM

I love the border...... BUT...... I would not put it on this beautiful star. In my mind the star does not go with the flowers. I would just bind it in black. It is really beautiful. Great job.
    Old 04-19-2013, 04:49 PM

I would definitely leave the flowered border off to me it clashes but you must have the ultimate say so. Your star pattern is beautiful you did an outstanding job.
    Old 04-20-2013, 05:08 AM

I've taken all the suggestions to heart and yes I agree the border doesn't work. I tried to come up with another idea but nothing seems to work. As to the salamander idea, there's not enough of the leftover to do much of anything with so they've gone into my scrap bag for some embroidery applique designs. I've been beating myself to death trying to figure out how to implement some plum solid fabric with this star as it will be used in the Labyrinth quilt I'm making for the bed but came to the conclusion, it does't really matter what colors I use in the Labyrinth as its in that star. There are 150 colors in the star so I can't go wrong. I might change the fabrics I've chosen for the Labyrinth and pick up some similar in color but what I used in the star pattern so at least it will look like they go together. I was just trying to use what I had in my stash but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

Thanks again for all your suggestions in helping me not to make a big mistake I'd regret later. The border fabric has already been put back onto the shelves for a future project.
    Old 04-20-2013, 04:41 PM

IMHO that lovely border fabric belongs on a different quilt. Your fabulous wallhanging just needs a black binding to finish it. Anything else would draw attention away from your fabulous work!
    Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 AM

I love the border. It is such a beautiful finishing touch and, in my opinion highlights the same colors in the star.