Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
CLOSED  July Secret Pal Sign Up Closes July 1st >

CLOSED July Secret Pal Sign Up Closes July 1st

CLOSED July Secret Pal Sign Up Closes July 1st

Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 PM

IrelandDragonQuilting I have never shipped overseas so I don't know but I think it is. Hopefully someone on here can tell you in the morning.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 PM

you can go ahead and sign up and let me know about sending international
Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 PM

Thanks Lori, I was thinking if it isn't too bad I will put down yes, definitely going to join in for August! I am addicted!!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Your package came from me, I am really glad you liked all the stuff. Happynana
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
Is it hard and expensive to ship overseas?

I did ship overseas for the July SP swap and didn't send priority mail and it ran about $30.00. More expensive with priority. So something to think about.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by CAgirl1

I did ship overseas for the July SP swap and didn't send priority mail and it ran about $30.00. More expensive with priority. So something to think about.
But you have sent me a big box full of stuff, the most packages i receive cost between 10 and 15 dollar..
Old 07-22-2011, 02:40 AM

I went on base to check our mail box and it was empty again :thumbdown: . But our weather is really nice here, at least something positive.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:10 AM

It depends on what you are sending. I have sent 1.5 yds of fabrics in a notebook pouch that cost just under $8, I have sent a pkg full of several yds of fabrics, patterns, book, and other misc notions and that cost $32 and that pkg I had insurance added on. The postal worker told me if you keep the package under 4# it is easier paperwork and more cost effective to send, if you go over the 4# limit the price and paperwork is a bit more to send overseas. I hope this gives you a better idea. If you can afford this it is a great way to expand your friendships across the big ponds.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:21 AM

If you use a squishie or one of those indestructible plastic bags then it works out cheaper. As some said earlier, the more you send, or the heavier it is then the more costly it becomes. the last two months I have had gorgeous firmies and they were in the $50 dollar range. I have also had squishies that, at the most, were $11 and they were fantastic too.

As always, it is up to you what you want to put in. I always try to include handmade things that don't weigh too much. Most of us love to receive hand made things because of the love and friendship that go into them.

I would check with where you are posting it, how much it costs. Regular air mail may be more expensive than Fed Ex or it could be the other way.

There are not very many of us overseas to you in this swap, but the number is growing. It is wonderful to see what is going on in other countries regarding this craft and getting new ideas is also great.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:40 AM

I love international swaps as I love meeting new quilting friends around the world and always receive unique fabrics and goodies we don't have here in the states! I inquired of one of our UK members for advice a few months ago and was advised to send a squishy vs a box as the shipping is weight based. You will need to fill out a customs form and want to check gift and value at $10. You do not need to send priority or get delivery confirmation for international swaps. It does take approx 5 to 10 business days to ship so the earlier the better! I have sent two internationally to date, one for another swap on the board and it ran just over $11 and the second was a SP swap and it was $23.40 (weighed just under 4 lbs). The postman here indicated that had it weighed 4 lbs the shipping price would have jumped to $41... Phew on that one!!! Fortunately, fabric, magazines, patterns and quilting notions do not weigh alot. So bottom line, if you send a squishy weighing under 4 lbs, you can ship it pretty reasonably and if it is under 3 lbs, it is probably even less. Hope this helps! I hope others on the board will share their input, too! Off to sign up for the August SP Swap! Stay Cool Everyone!!!