Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by AkAngel
I got dropped from all the threads on the board somehow so I am trying to reconnect. I fell Thursday night (at the gym no less)and broke my wrist and tore a ligament in my hand.
I went to the Ortho dr. the E.R. referred me to tyhis morning
he took one look at the MRI and said I don't work on hands and referred me to a hand surgeon, and of course the hand surgeon is not open today so I have to wait and call tomorrow. Talk about hurry up and wait. And this is the only hand dr. in Fairbanks so if I can't get in to see him I'll have to go to Anchorage 357 miles away. I swear when it rains it pours. Sorry to vent,I'm extremely frustrated.
Hope everyone is sticking to their programs, didn't even get mine set up! Later, my hand hurts
Muriel
Oh Muriel!! I am so sorry you have had such a bad fall!! Please let us know what happens at the hand doctors. I sure hope you do not have to go to Anchorage.

Missy
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Hpapy Birthday Purplemem. Hope you've had a good day despite not getting to go out and celebrate with family and friends.

Muriel, I'm sorry for your fall and hand problem. I hope you are able to see the Dr soon and your hand heals quickly. Bless yoru heart! Sandy
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Muriel,
I am so sorry about your fall. That is horrendous! I pray that you get relief from your pain and are able to have it set quickly.

Prepare for a long recovery. My mom broke her wrist last Christmas and it was Easter before she could hold a fork.

This might be the time you learn to hand quilt left handed?

Hugs,
MJ
Old 01-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Last year #1 husband fell on his hand - there's a name for it - FOOSH- Fall On Out Stretched Hand. Broke, had surgery, pins and plates. He's fine now. No complications, it never bothered him in the cold weather (so far). So this is the first test year and he has shoveled, lifted snow, snow blowed or is that blew, with nary a problem. So if that is the problem, not to worry. Good luck. Edie
Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Muriel, Hope you get into the hand surgeon pronto, that is a tough break [and an even worse pun!]
Long day today. Went with my son and grandson to the hospital. Grandson's other grandma,Susan,is dying. COPD, complications, very low weight, no resistance, has to be on breathing machine. Dr. gave her a choice taking her off breathing machine within the next few days and if she can't breath on her own it will be the end; or tracheotomy, breathing tube, feeding tube, nursing home until the end. She is 57. She chose the first one. My grandson's mom is only 27 and has all the burden. Family scattered, long story. We are doing all we can, but not much we can do but support her. This is all caused from her mom's years of smoking. She is one of those that the addiction is so consuming she can't quit, and tried everything. I know this is a really selfish thought, but my grandson's birthday is Jan. 18th. I just don't want it to happen then, you know? He has never lost anyone close and he is just going to be 10. He's a terrific boy with strong faith. We'll all get through, but tough times ahead. Sorry to unload, thanks for listening.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:35 PM

I am curious what everyones opinion is on real sugar vs artificial sweetners. I know sugar is not good for you, but in small amounts I wonder if it is better for you than the artificial sweetners. I don't really drink pop but I like iced tea. I usually put sweet and low in it. Just wondering if others think it is good for weight loss or bad for it. There is so much conflicting information about it, it is hard to know what is true. :?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
I am curious what everyones opinion is on real sugar vs artificial sweetners. I know sugar is not good for you, but in small amounts I wonder if it is better for you than the artificial sweetners. I don't really drink pop but I like iced tea. I usually put sweet and low in it. Just wondering if others think it is good for weight loss or bad for it. There is so much conflicting information about it, it is hard to know what is true. :?
It is more expensive, but you could use stevia, a granulated or liquid. I buy it at the gro., but discount stores have it also, probably cheaper. I paid about $6 for a 40 (1 1l/2tsp.) serving container. It also comes on packets. Liquid is a few drops per serving-don't know that cost. It is supposed to be a natural sweetner and it would be for sweetening only-not cooking.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by plainjane
Originally Posted by Rita's mom
It is more expensive, but you could use stevia, a granulated or liquid. I buy it at the gro., but discount stores have it also, probably cheaper. I paid about $6 for a 40 (1 1l/2tsp.) serving container. It also comes on packets. Liquid is a few drops per serving-don't know that cost. It is supposed to be a natural sweetner and it would be for sweetening only-not cooking.
I agree Stevia. It is not suppose to raise your blood sugar levels like artificial sweetners do, thereby it isn't suppose to trigger craving. My dad could use it as a diabetic.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Boy I'm sorry to hear of all of the bad breaks and sorrow today on the thread. My prayers are for you all. Take care of yourselves. Carol

Tru, you're gorgeous, if he doesn't appreciate you the way you are, poo to him!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Ok so here we go, this makes it more fun to try to loose the weight. I did weigh myself on the first (not great but down 4 since sooooooooo count me in. Thanks I love this site