Boom 31 Spring

Old 05-12-2024, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Well, my friends it has been an adventurous week. I was here on Monday, but missing since then. The reason is that Tuesday evening my city, and my neighborhood specifically, was hit by two tornadoes. The first one was the "biggy" that did the most damage. I am fine and my condo has very minor damage I lost downspouts and some siding. Sadly my tiny neighborhood lost 3 or 4 HUGE oak trees as well as 5 large spruce and pine trees. This natural setting on protected DNA bog is what drew many residents to this area. It is quiet, serene and lovely here. Now, less lovely and many fewer trees on the marsh. Directly across from me is/was a very large swampy forest that is part of a different nature preserve. Most of the forest is gone.Trees are either snapped off at about 15 to 20 feet from the ground and stripped of all branches or tipped over with the root ball laying out in full view. This wooded area is several hundred acres in size, mostly in shambles. It will stay that way. Only what bordered on a four-lane boulevard street will be cleaned up. Trees that are between 75 and 150 years old and lots of 20 -50 year olds are now laying on the side of the road waiting to be hauled away. Sad, so very, very sad. But a reminder of how powerful a tornado can be. We see photos of other communities and just dismiss it. This week it was real.

I got out today and was deeply shocked at what I saw that was less than a 5 minute walk from my home. Buildings demolished or damaged severely and thousands and thousands of trees across the community are gone. I got my power back in just short of 48 hours and internet came back at the same time. Yeah, how very dependent we are on these modern conveniences.

My plan to mail the blocks tomorrow is now "gone with the wind". More likely Monday. I have one final block to make then out the door when all of the roads are open again.

I am so blessed and grateful to be safe and not in the dark any longer.
So sorry to hear about your community, I am glad you are safe and sound with just minor damage. Prayers to everyone around you.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
Sorry I have not posted in a bit but I have been working on my previous BOOM Froggy Quilt for my Nephew! I want to get it done in time for his birthday! I quilted it on my Viking Lena and now just have to hand sew the binding on!!

Beautiful Froggy quilt, I love seeing our work finished.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Anyone see the Northern Lights tonight? Here in NC we were able to see them for the first time tonight. They were gorgeous! Bright pink and orange fading to blues and purples with a shot of occasional green. My great niece is a photographer so hopefully we will have some pictures tomorrow. This was a once in a lifetime occurrance here. I am so glad that I have lived long enough to experience this first hand. Those brilliant shifting colors was mind blowing!
Too many clouds for us to see it here in my area, My family in GA & SC got some great pics
Old 05-12-2024, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
Okay, here’s my first try at taking astronomy pictures! It was a clear sky last night with a crescent moon. I used a blue and red planetary filter lens and then a plain one. It was fun but tricky!

WOW, those are some great pictures. Have fun with your new hobby.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:32 PM

LC, snapping those photos like a pro! What fun to stretch your mind and skills in a new direction isn't it. Don't forget quilting....
Tee-Hee-Hee
Old 05-13-2024, 03:11 AM

LC, great pictures!
Old 05-13-2024, 07:58 AM

Good afternoon. I had a wonderful day with the grands yesterday. It’s as though they were on their best behavior so no hatches needed to be battened! lol.

LC, nice pix of the moon. TFS.

Lstew, I believe your blocks are arriving today. Yay!

Today DH is going to install a sliding screen on one of the outside doors. It’ll give us better airflow through the house in the warm weather before the AC goes on for months. 😀. I’m going to work on some Boom blocks for a QAYG quilt. They’re the under the sea blocks. Should be fun.

Hope you all have a good day!

Old 05-13-2024, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

Great moon shots, LC!
Glad your grands helped you celebrate Mother's Day, Janice. I'll get to see mine in a few weeks. Can't wait to see your Under the Sea quilt finished. Those were some really cute blocks.
We had a horrendous thunderstorm overnight. This whole week is supposed to be stormy.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:40 PM

I have been hearing about storms in your neck of the woods, SBG. Keep the radio or your phone handy so if it gets too wild you can shelter and pray.

What fun to see your froggy quilt, LC. I recognize that little froggy face peeking up from the edge. Tee-Hee-Hee

Old 05-14-2024, 02:01 AM

Lstew, your pkg arrived yesterday. Thank you!

Janice McC - 2 sets
Cheesehead - 1 set
Terriamn - 2 sets
Hav4boys - 2 sets
Sewbizgirl - 2 sets
SusieQOH - 1 set
LogCabin82 - 1 set
RebaQuilts - 1 set
TravelingGramma - 1 set
Macybaby - 2 sets
Libster - 2 sets
Lstew2212 - 1 set