Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arthritis pain >

Arthritis pain

Arthritis pain

Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM

Oh, Longarm!!!! I am so glad to hear you say that about your last doctor. After going to the same doctor for over 10 years, he made a very similar comment to me..."Do you think this is normal for someone your age?". I was also in my 40's. What I was dealing with may not have been "normal" for most people that age, but it was what I was!!! I started with arthritis when I was still in my teens, so by mid 40's, I often felt like a very old person. Needless to say, I went doctor shopping. ;) Found a wonderful man that listened to me, and helped with what I needed for me...not what the masses might need.

Patti
Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
I use Aleve and rub Acpercream, on my hands!
Just part of getting old, I guess. . :roll:
same here
Old 04-07-2011, 05:30 PM

Try using a lotion called BanAlg. We order it from K-Mart in 4-0z bottles. It has a pleasant smell when applying, but loses its smell quickly and does not stain clothes or bedding. My husband has used it for 10 years. Also just learned about Australian Dream (about 25.00) at Walgreen's. I use Biofreeze myself; I can't tolerate BanAlg. Good Luck.

Try using a lotion called BanAlg. We order it from K-Mart in 4-0z bottles. It has a pleasant smell when applying, but loses its smell quickly and does not stain clothes or bedding. My husband has used it for 10 years. Also just learned about Australian Dream (about 25.00) at Walgreen's. I use Biofreeze myself; I can't tolerate BanAlg. Good Luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Glad to hear all of these suggestions. Right now my 17 yo DD is dealing with these problems in her joints. The dr diagnosed as Arthralgia (sp?) and she has an appt on May 18 with a rheumatologist. I'm so worried about her. Does anyone know what they mean by arthralgia?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
Glad to hear all of these suggestions. Right now my 17 yo DD is dealing with these problems in her joints. The dr diagnosed as Arthralgia (sp?) and she has an appt on May 18 with a rheumatologist. I'm so worried about her. Does anyone know what they mean by arthralgia?
Sounds like a generic term for pain in the joints. I assume your DD will get a more specific diagnosis from the rheumatologist who of course is trained in this area. My son was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at age 14, so I can imagine what you're feeling right now. Thank goodness you're getting her to the doctor in a timely manner. Best of luck and blessings to you both. Hang in there.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Sounds like a generic term for pain in the joints. I assume your DD will get a more specific diagnosis from the rheumatologist who of course is trained in this area. My son was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at age 14, so I can imagine what you're feeling right now. Thank goodness you're getting her to the doctor in a timely manner. Best of luck and blessings to you both. Hang in there.
Wow 14 and fibro. Poor kid he has a long road ahead of him. I have fibro and this dr also thought she has it so he put her on meds for it but I'm thinking after receiving the blood work results he is thinking it is something else. It is hard to wait until mid May! Of course the way time flies it will be here before you know it. It just worries me since she hasn't been to school since before Christmas and is unable to even do any work at home. :cry:
Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Wow 14 and fibro. Poor kid he has a long road ahead of him. I have fibro and this dr also thought she has it so he put her on meds for it but I'm thinking after receiving the blood work results he is thinking it is something else. It is hard to wait until mid May! Of course the way time flies it will be here before you know it. It just worries me since she hasn't been to school since before Christmas and is unable to even do any work at home. :cry:
Bless your heart. You might ask if you haven't already, if your doctor's office can put you on a cancellation list. I know the waiting is awful, especially when it's for your kids. Wow, unable to do any school work, even at home? Hmm. I remember before my own diagnosis of Fibro, the doc thought it was CFS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was in my late 20's and it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed and go to work. I missed a lot of it, too.

As for my son's Fibro, his came on at such an early age because the silly boy was helping our neighborhood trash removal guy lift gazillions of trash cans in our mobile home community and then had a fall on top of that. Doc said physical trauma brought it about, but that he was already in line for it due to certain arthritis genes in our family.

You're doing the right thing by having her see doctors. Oh, and the good news? It doesn't get much easier when our kids go and have medical troubles later in life, either. :cry: Maybe it's just me, but once a Mom, always a Mom - just in different capacities. :D Sending my prayers your way.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 AM

I have a form of RA and like you don,t want to take preventative prescriptions. My rheumatologist prescribed a topical NSAID cream called Voltaren. It has been a lifesaver!!!! I only use it when I have a flare up. I' m sure your regular physician could prescribe it for you. Just make sure you only use the measured amount.