Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arthritis pain >

Arthritis pain

Arthritis pain

Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by polly13
Originally Posted by quilter1943
Good morning Nett

The parafin baths are wonderful. Our Walgreens used to have them but haven't seen any for a while. Probably Bed, bath and beyond would. Aspercream helps too. Exercising with the rubber balls/hearts that are available helps -- I keep them on the sewing table by my chair and use them at night. Strengthening the muscles will help relieve pressure on the joints (so my dr says!)
Does anyone know where you can buy those big chunks of paraffin that used to be sold with the parafin tubs?

They used to sell parafin in the grocery stores near the canning supplies but that was back in the 70's when candle making was hot, LOL! It may still be there, I'm not sure now.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by IT_Nana
I use Mobic, but see here that you have found it in a generic brand. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction, please? The brand name is a bit expensive.

Thanks so much,
The generic Mobic is Meloxicam and it comes in 7.5 and 15 mg just like the brand. I've taken it for years and it's been very effective. However, with my new aches and swelling, my rheumatologist switched me to Diclofenac Sodium 75 mc twice a day. I believe it is the generic Voltaran. As with any anti-inflammatory meds, the pharmacist cautioned me to take it with a good meal, as it can cause stomach problems. Both Mobic and Voltaran habe been around for years, so I feel more comfortable taking either than I would some of the new meds.[/quote]

I take the Meloxicam (along with many other prescriptions because I have a whole plethora of medical problems) and have for about six years now. I have had no side effects from it at all but do have chronic stomach problems from years and years of taking OTC pain relievers like IBuprophen, Naproxin, Aleve etc. Now I have to take a pill for my stomach. Meloxicam has been a true god send to me and helps me to maintain a pain free existance. Not all prescription drugs are unhealthy, the best thing is to see your doctor and discuss your feelings about prescription medications so that together you can find something that helps with the pain, swelling and stiffness. A life that is cut back due to pain is a life wasted. Get some real meds and get back to living!!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 PM

The Dr. told me that tart cherry will help with arthritis and gout, that might help. It won't cause other meds to go astray. Sounds do=able for me. Getting some tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:10 PM

WD -40 is a spray to use on bolts, etc to loosen them up. My dear fil swore by it on his arthritis, but it is kinda smelly. I have fibro, osteo arthritis, disc compression in lower back, bad bad bunion on left foot, have to get special shoes, no ins pays for that stuff like shoes, etc. I have a lot of trouble walking, getting up after sitting for a while is the hardest thing. I am also on diclofenac, tramadol and aleve. I take amytriptiling at night to relax the muscles so I can sleep-- mild anti depressant that has other side effects-#1 is that you don't get up so often to pee. I have tried the chondrotin, gluclosamine and all like relex and none of it works for me. Heat is good on my joints, I use a combination of pain buster, bio freeze and aspercreme also. Especially use it , rub in good and take a hot shower. feels really good. also use hot pad. NEVER go to sleep with one. Dr told me worst thing you can do. Can geet burned and not even know it, also could be fire hazard. Knees need replacing but am waiting for them to find something with out going that route.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shermy
I am looking for a DVD for Rhmatoid Arthritis. It's called "Yoga for Rhmatoid Arthritis". If anyone knows where I could buy this DVD would you please tell me...I heard it really helps with the pain and stiffness..Thanks
You could try contacting The Arthritis Foundation at www.arthritis.org. They sell DVDs and books relating to arthritis and other auto-immune diseases.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
I use stop pain, aleve or advil.

I used Advil for my RA pain. My rheumatoligist said "absolutely not". It can really wreak havoc on the stomach.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 AM

I have moderate RA in both hands. I still hand quilt, but it takes a toll. Hot water and flexing generally unstiffens them, but sometimes ya just have to let it run its course.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 AM

A Dr told me that you have to change NSAIDs periodically because they stop working and it is good to switch them up. I took Lodine for years, tried Meloxicam (didn't do much for me), and am now on Naproxyn. It isn't working as well as it did so when this prescription runs out I'm going to switch again.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 AM

Oh boy can I relate to all you guys. I'm 48 and with my whole life either playing the flute, typing, cross stitch, needlepoint, bowling twice a week and now quilting, my hands are taking a beating.

I think I have tendonitis in my left hand, probably mostly from bowling. Aspercreme really works? I've used Icy Hot, Ben-Gay and this stuff called Sombra natural paind gel that rolls on like a deodorant. I'll have to give Bio-freeze a try too, but I haven't seen that anywhere.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Originally Posted by polly13
Originally Posted by quilter1943
Good morning Nett

The parafin baths are wonderful. Our Walgreens used to have them but haven't seen any for a while. Probably Bed, bath and beyond would. Aspercream helps too. Exercising with the rubber balls/hearts that are available helps -- I keep them on the sewing table by my chair and use them at night. Strengthening the muscles will help relieve pressure on the joints (so my dr says!)
Does anyone know where you can buy those big chunks of paraffin that used to be sold with the parafin tubs?

They used to sell parafin in the grocery stores near the canning supplies but that was back in the 70's when candle making was hot, LOL! It may still be there, I'm not sure now.
I thought I saw those paraffin baths in Wlamart - pharmacy section