Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH! >
  • My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH!

• My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by karenm36
    I'm just so sad...I don't know where to go from here. I posted a few days ago this beautiful collection of green and purple fabric that I got on sale and was going to use it for a quilt for my DDIL. And so many of you gave me great ideas for a pattern...I could hardly contain my excitement about starting this quilt! But now I'm crushed!

Well, a little back story here...I had some yellow fabric that kept fading when I pre-washed it. My other colors didn't seem to do this...just the yellow. (No I don't use bleach or have bleach in the detergent). So I purchased some Retayne and it worked beautifully keeping the color in so nicely. Well since most fabric looses just a little color when washed...I thought I'd use the Retayne on the fabric for my DDIL's quilt...because I wanted the fabric to look as pretty as possible. I followed the directions to the "T". But...after examining the fabric when it came out of the dryer I realized ALL the pieces had some degree of fading spots on them. Looks terrible! The Retayne worked on parts of the fabric but not all...everything has this mottled look to it. :cry:

Don't know if this can be fixed or not...I don't know how to approach solving this. This was sale fabric so most of it's gone by now...and I can't afford to buy it all over again anyway. Sigh...any ideas? Since all of the fabric is like this...do I go ahead and use it anyway...saying it's meant to have a "vintage, worn-out look" to it?

Just need to vent here. Thanks for your collective listening ear. But if anyone has any idea as to how I can make all this messed up fabric work I sure would appreciate your ideas. I'll post one pic so you can see it...it's hard to see as the camera doesn't capture it very well but you'll get the idea.
    Heck we pay good money for "mottled" fabric. You did your own. I think it will look fine once it's cut up and pieced. After all, the whole piece is this way.
    Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 PM

I usually use Woolite to wash the fabric and I have used the Shout cloths that work pretty good. I think I would try taking it back and just telling them that you washed it and the color spotted like that maybe they've had other c/o and if not maybe some sort of square and it may even look like you bought the fabric that way. good luck whatever you decide. I'm glad you ment. the Retayen I didn't know what it was called. Sue
    Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM

I would either use it as is (I love vintage) or overdye it. Is it otherwise good quality fabric? If not, I would not put it into something that would be washed a lot. I think it is better you learned this BEFORE you put a lot of time making a quilt.
    Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM

Have you tried washing it with Shout Color Catcher?
    Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 AM

I will never use Retayne again, this has happened to me every time I do. Now I use old fashioned vinegar with no problems!
    Your fabric looks perfectly useable!
    Old 06-29-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma58
    I will never use Retayne again, this has happened to me every time I do. Now I use old fashioned vinegar with no problems!
    Your fabric looks perfectly useable!
    Ya know....I was thinking it was the Retayne and so many others said it was the fabric. I think it was the Retayne...even though I followed the directions on the label. I will definitely stick to using vinegar! Glad to hear your input on this!