Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help... I ruined a project! ): >

Help... I ruined a project! ):

Help... I ruined a project! ):

Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 PM

Does flannel bleed more than other fabrics?

I am not an accomplished sewer, despite loving making quilts. I was so happy that I was able to finish a grocery cart from a McCall's pattern that is intended as a gift. I made it with a minkee interior, and flannel exterior. It turned out very nice...BUT...

Now that it's done there is dye transfer from the chocolate colored flannel (bebe chic flannel) to the icy blue minkee, which looks much like baby had an accident in there! :shock: :shock: I DID prewash the fabrics separately before starting this. The first dye transfer occurred during the construction process. I washed it again after it was finished hoping that would take care of it. I looked at it coming out of the wash and it looked good, so I tossed it in the dryer, which I'm afriad was a huge mistake becuase on closer inspection there is new dye transfer on the edges which happened in the washing process and now it's been through the dryer. :oops:

So, I am REMAKING the entire project :cry:. A chocolate with blue dot fabric quilter's cotton version is available, rather than the flannel. Will that bleed too, or is it flannel that will not hold the color?

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM

I think it's the flannel you are having problems with.....it also seems to keep on shrinking.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I always check my rinse water...that will tell you if the fabric is still bleeding.
You can also wash with Shout color catchers each time...but you would have to continue using them after it is constructed AND being used, until no color appears on them.

The safest way is to just keep washing the fabric until the water is absolutely clear, and/or the color catcher no longer shows dye colors.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

This is true for flannel as well as cotton...

I think you will be happier with the way cotton will hold up for this project, versus flannel :wink:
Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM

Thank you, off to the store. Lucky me, I have a coupon good for today from the LQS. :)
Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM

I just finished a quilt for my hubby that had light fabrics combined with red and black. Prewashed flannel, but because it was a kit, I did not prewash the fabric. The black I added to increase that size as my hubby is tall. I suddenly realized as I was finishing up, what the red and black could do to the other light colors (back is in butter yellow flannel too). After consulting with the folks here on the board and my LQS, I decided to wash it the first time with Retayne and Dye grabber sheet. Held my breath...no bleeding!!
I think somewhere on the board I read that someone had something happen like happened to you, but washed again with Retayne or Syntrapol and dye grabber and it came out. Maybe someone remembers that and can give you some advice. I would hate for all your hard work to be permanently ruined. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Synthrapol suspends unset dye particles in water so they can be washed away instead of settling into other fabric. Retayne sets dye. I think you were really lucky that your fabrics didn't bleed. If they had, the Retayne would have permanently set the bleeds.

I always do my first wash of a quilt in Synthrapol. Retayne is most suitable for individual fabrics with a tendency to bleed, as it will usually (not always) stop the fabric from bleeding more.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM

I guess I am lucky. I will know better the next time!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

I always have to wash flannel a number of times. I think the new fabric will be fine. How upsetting for you though.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:06 PM

I think the flannel is the problem.