do you use your china?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen
I have a set of Wedgewood English Bone China in the Belle Fleur pattern....my deceased DH didn't want me to use them because they would break so they've been sitting in the china cabinet, exploding. If you hear what sounds like a gun shot at close range, you've just lost another plate or veggie dish.
I can honestly say, I've never broken or chipped even one piece. It has a life of it's own.
OMG Auntie Em, I have never heard of that!! I use my grandmother's china daily c. 1970 and my dad still has my mom's that is 61 years old now. Mine is 40 years old. What causes that??

pineu
Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 PM

I do have a set of china given to me by a friend. The set belonged to her mother and she had no children to pass the set on to. I love it. I use it every Christmas and any other time I can.

I had another set I would use for Sunday dinners. After I divorced, I started using that set for everyday. My kids did not want to eat in on them because they said it wasn't Sunday!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:09 PM

I have the "good china" which I use at special occasions.
I live in NC and there is the Replacement Inc. close by that sells discontinued patterns, so if any thing happens I can get it replaced. I feel about it like my quilts, you should use it and not just look at it.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:20 PM

worked in fine china for 6 years with proper care you'd find that its quite sturdy. I'm definitly a bull in a china shop so i should know. with that said i don't use mine it's on display in the china cabinet
Old 10-27-2011, 04:24 PM

Occasionally.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:38 PM

I got 6 place settings and a few serving dishes of china for wedding gifts many moons ago (30+ years). Used it a few times.
About 10 years ago we started collecting Blue Willow Ware from antique stores. I don't know for sure how much I have now but it gets used when the whole family gets together, not just for holidays. I have a china cabinet in the dining room that I display the larger pieces in. We have had fun finding these pieces including sugar/creamer sets, gravy boats and butter dishes I even have a nutmeg holder. Some are very old with crazed marks and others are newer. I even found some of the newer red and green pieces.
My tastes have changed and this is more my style than formal china.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I only use mine on special occasions.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:57 PM

I have a 12-place setting of Lenox "Charleston" pattern...live alone so don't use it (what's even worse is my idea of cooking is whatever's handy and quick!); my youngest DD has made noises like she wants it but, so far....I really can't see why she'd want it either
Old 10-27-2011, 04:57 PM

I have a 12-place setting of Lenox "Charleston" pattern...live alone so don't use it (what's even worse is my idea of cooking is whatever's handy and quick!); my youngest DD has made noises like she wants it but, so far....I really can't see why she'd want it either although she does cook a bit more than the other two...
Old 10-27-2011, 04:59 PM

I do use my china. It was my grandmother's. Shocked everyone by giving it to me as a wedding gift. Gma received the start of it for her wedding and received plates for every anniversary until she had 16 dinner plates. Unfortunately the factory was bombed in the war and she was never able to complete her settings. It is priceless and worthless. I love it very much and even though such things are not really part of what my children's generation does, I hope that my daughter will keep it in the family and pass it along to her granddaughter some day.