Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 AM

My husband too is over educated and over thinks everything. I try to remember to not think out loud. Can't even have a simple idea. If something can be built out of foam board he's going to build it out of 2 x 12 and 16 penny nails.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Simple solution. Make it yourself. I have to do this all the time. If he asks tell him it is going to be a surprise. If you have to you can get a sheet of plywood cut at the local Lowes or Home Depot. Some things just aren't worth the stress. Ann in TN
I'm perfectly capable AND willing to do it myself. I HAVE all the raw materials I need to get the job done, and experienced with all the power tools needed to do it. I'd have it done in an hour.

There is however a slight problem ....

No tools!! HE has all the tools at his shop. If I went to the shop to use the tools - he's there and will simply take it from me and say (loudly and with hurt feelings) "I told you I would do it!!". When? How?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 AM

I am married to an architect and believe me I understand! He is very right brained and I am left brained. I feel so much better knowing I am not the only frustruated one out there!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:02 AM

You can always go into a home improvement store and they will cut a board for you, the measurements you request. To keep the board from warping, cover it with aluminum foil. It will also reflect the heat back into your fabric.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 AM

I have gotten so many good laughs out of this thread.

I have a DH who thinks like this too. He isn't an engineer although he does actually want to get an engineering degree. I just can't remember which one. What he does do is own a Construction/Oilfield Health and Safety Training company.

DS (6yo) had a homework assignment over the weekend. DH is out of town but wanted to help with this one over the phone. DS had a space of about 4" square on a piece of paper to do up a map of the family's fire escape plan. DH's "plan" for him would have needed a many multi-page flip chart and a scaled break apart version of our home. It included ways to get out of our house from every point of the house, first aid plans, fire extinguishers, checks at different times to prevent fires, fire extinguisher checks, definitions of different types of fire extinguishers, first aid lessons.... I could go on but all of you get the point I am sure.

I was laughing so hard but had to stop him and remind him that the boy is in only in grade one and this is the amount of space the child has. We did get the homework done, DH did get to help and I managed to keep DH from overwhelming the poor child.

It's just the way their minds work but they do mean well and you just gotta love 'em. Oh, and I have been waiting two years now for my ironing board "extension". I built the kids play structure last year almost by myself. I just couldn't get the A-frame portion up at the end by myself cause it was just too heavy for me to do alone. I think the ironing board thing might be on the list for me to do myself next week since this thread has reminded me again.

Tara
Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
ROFLMAO! I share your plight! Engineers and practical... now there's an oxymoron :)
You can allso add Electrical Supervisor in the Maintaince dept. to that list. When we were adding my sewing room addition on, he was driving all of us crazy. True, I have the best wired sewing room around, but......
Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Hmmm my husband went through the same steps and ended up buying me the biggest bestest ironning board yet instead of making one.
That IS a very nice table, but not what I want or need :) I have limited space in the room - this one is too big, plus I'm only 5' tall so it's a bit too wide. I would also have a very bad conscience paying $400 for something that I can make for $30. Even if mine only lasts say 5 years (min) I could make 13 of them before I paid $400 and I highly doubt I'll be quilting for the next 65 years. I'm 50 and and accountant ... so I just did what I accused my husband of doing and "costed" your table.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 AM

I have to add another comment. LOVE this thread. Please keep in mind, I love my husband dearly and don't know how he puts up with my loosey goosey artsy personality. We are so different that we see our differences very clearly and appreciate one another quite a bit. Never the less, this is a humorous thread!

When we need to buy an appliance or a car or even a smoke detector, my husband goes to the library and reads Consumer Reports, makes lists and lists on pages and pages and compares one to the other. He researches Then, we go from one place to another looking at the intended purchase, checking out prices, asking for specials, etc. I usually groan when I find out we're going shopping. Once we've talked to everyone, we come home and rehash all the details. Yes, more groaning on my part and I usually occupy myself with a mindless chore while we're discussing it because I get ants in my pants over all this.

When we had to replace our stove/oven, he followed the above mentioned steps. He even went to a couple stores to get an idea of what's out there (Yeah! Without me!) Then he invited me to go to HHGregg to check out some more. We came across a unit that was priced below the basic models and had more bells and whistles than we wanted. There my DH stood, clipboard in hand -- SPEECHLESS!!! I never saw him beside himself like this before. No discussion - no bargaining. I about fell on the floor when he said, "We'll take it and when can it be delivered."

Almost the same thing happened when we bought our last car about 1 1/2 years ago. He just brought me in to ask if I liked it and was there a color I preferred. What happened? Usually, it takes 6 months to decide "if" we should buy a car, then another few months to actually do it.

When our washer broke down, we went looking and I was convinced that my husband would never buy the "pair" because we use everything until it dies. Lo and behold, the "pair" was such a good deal that he bought them both and we gave our dryer away to one of the pastors at our church.

I thinking I'm liking this! Maybe he's finding it's easier to do the footwork without me. Maybe he's starting to read my mind - I don't know, but I'm liking it! AND I love my husband and his skills!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
Oh, your description of the event was so funny.....I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and figured that my hubby might need to take a "few" lessons from yours. My hubby's things turn out lopsided or unsafe with his idea of substitutions. In other words, don't ask my hubby to build anything. LOL
That was my first (late) husband. I used to cringe every time I saw him handling a screw driver (left handed to boot). His father passed away when he was 5 and he grew up with his mother and grandmother - no man about. I grew up at the ankles of a plumber who made darn sure I knew how to handle hand tools and graduated to power tools - and of course the perennial favorites - duct tape and baling wire which no girl should be without. Dad also taught me first two things you NEED to know about plumbing - stink goes up, $hi! goes down :) My husband is a lot like my father. Cut from the same cloth. Love them both, but one of them is driving me nuts at the moment :)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
try telling an architect you want to lay out your own kitchen. HAH! like he'll ever cook.
ROFL!!!