Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I won a raffle quilt.  Would everyone hate me if I sold it? >

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

Old 01-07-2012, 02:28 PM

The quilt is yours to do with as you see fit or need. If someone else had won, the guild might not ever know what happened to the quilt. If you can get a good price for it, sell it. The guild should be thankful that you are putting it to good use by say buying your medications which you need more than another quilt. If you should donate it to some charitable organization, be sure to get a receipt for the value of the quilt. Then itemize on your income tax and take it off as a charitable donation.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 PM

It's yours to do with as will. Next time just give money to the guild, and not take part in the raffle. Iwon't buy it because it isn't your creation.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 PM

First you need to get appraisal made of the quilt. For insurance purposes and to sell it.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by luvstitches View Post
You won that quilt and now it is yours. You are free to do with it as you want. The person that buys this quilt will love it and cherish it.
I agree, Plus -- the person who said "they" would be disappointed was only expressing her own opinion. The organization already made the money they were seeking. It is out of their hands. It is yours to do with whatever you desire. Sell it to someone who really wants it.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:29 AM
QM
Power Poster

It is surely your property. Someone won a quilt I donated to be raffled and decided the same thing. She donated it to be reraffled, which did not offend me at all. The charity got twice the gain. I understand that not every quilt fits in every house.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 AM

Your first mistake was in asking a member of the Guild who made the quilt if it would be all right if you sold it. You won the quilt fair and square. What happens to it after that is no one's business, not even the people who made the quilt. That's like giving the giver of a gift the right to say what you do with it. I was always taught by my mother, grandmothers, and great grandmother, that a polite lady thanks a person profusely for a gift, no matter whether they like the gift or not, or intend to keep it or not. The important thing is to make sure that you let the giver know you are grateful for the gift. After you've properly thanked the right person/people for the gift, it is now yours to do with as you please. If that means selling it, you are perfectly free to do so. I'd say you've bought so many raffle tickets that now it's time to see a reward from that. You didn't get the "gift" you wanted, so no different than exchanging a gift at Christmas, you are exchanging this "quilt raffle gift" for money, so you can buy something you either want or need. You are simply replacing this gift with something more suitable. It's that simple. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. And shame, shame, shame on that guild person who said she'd be "disappointed" if you sold the quilt! My Great Grandmother would have wasted no time in washing her mouth out with soap for behaving in so "unladylike" a fashion, and making the receiver of a gift feel badly about the gift. Yes, a very unladylike way to handle a delicate situation. A much more cultured and ladylike response would have been something like: "Why, my Dear, the quilt belongs to you now! You should do with it whatever makes you happy!" Her original response met her needs, without ever once taking into consideration your feelings, needs, circumstances or potential responses. I'm sure she's a lovely person, but she sure couldn't see beyond her own nose on that question, and shame on her.

Now you just go ahead and sell that quilt, and buy whatever you want. It's your right as owner. And get something really good, ​OK?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Banned

I think giving it to a charity that you support to either sell or raffle would be a most wonderful gesture, this will benefit charity twice .
Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by luvstitches View Post
You won that quilt and now it is yours. You are free to do with it as you want. The person that buys this quilt will love it and cherish it.
I second this!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:02 AM

I agree that it's yours to do with as you want. They made the quilt in order to raise funds for their organization. They did that. Not everyone who buys a raffle ticket will want to keep the prize. If they cared about that, then they should ask the question before they sell the tickets. The point was to earn money, and you helped them to do that! Now go out and sell that quilt and use your prize money in the way that serves you best!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 AM

It is a very beautiful quilt!