Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas >

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 09-01-2010, 12:27 PM

I think this is a great idea. We need a board for this topic.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Hi, I have used many different things in my sewing room. I have a peg board and have attached IKEA wine racks to have up the various stabilizers that I use when machine embroidering or for special projects for quilting. That has been great. I also use wire baskets that fit in my side by side closet. I can put 3 tall cabinets in there and sort things by color. I don't have a picture of any of this, but I will try to take one and get it to the blog.

Janrich
Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 PM

I love your sewing room. Where did you find the drawers on wheels? I have 1 3 drawer unit that I bought years ago from K Mart I think, but we no longer have K Marts and I can't find them anywhere, that are the nice big size like yours. Don't you just love to sit and look at all your neat sewing/quilting "stuff"???

Originally Posted by Caroltee
I have a small room that is my sewing room.. I have a small 12x20 building that was my beauty shop /guest house that I converted into my quilting studio/ sewing/ hide-a-away from the world. With my laptop PC I can go any where and stay in touch. Sending more pic of storage ideas.
:lol:
Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 PM

What would be considered an appropiate height for a cutting/ work table? in relation to the person doing the work, ie: hip high, waist high etc.. I am almost 5' so in inches for average height wouldn't work for me. Right now I use my dining room table fully extended, but once I get the room downstairs emptied out I want to put in a sewing / craft room. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. I like scrapbooking and crafts in general also so I need a versatile room lol.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:17 PM

love the idea of the wine racks
Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM

By the way 12X20 isn't small!!!! Small is like my little bedroom that my 2 boys shared growing up that is about 11X11 and I have made it into my sewing room. No offense intended!

I have a small room that is my sewing room.. I have a small 12x20 building that was my beauty shop /guest house that I converted into my quilting studio/ sewing/ hide-a-away from the world. With my laptop PC I can go any where and stay in touch. Sending more pic of storage ideas.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM

Okay, I want to ask a stupid question, I guess, is your fabric already folded selvedge to selvedge when you start folding it on your 6 inch ruler?

Originally Posted by barbgooch
Since I'm not concerned about light in my sewing room (it's in the dungeon of my basement - no light penetrates!!) I store all my fabric in open "crates." They are the adjustable vinyl sided "boxes" that can be built to any height/width, etc. I use my 6" wide ruler to fold my fabric. It's just like using the cardboard bolts at the fabric stores. But after I fold it, I pull out my ruler and then fold them in half the other way. Two rows fit perfectly in each shelf. I also just love looking at my wall of color.

One other idea I use is under the bed shoe storage containers. Got them at Hancock Fabric. They hold "tons" of fabric!
That’s just how I fold my fabric too. No need to use boards unless you want a vertical look. I still have more fabric to get folded. Maybe this will motivate me some
Old 09-01-2010, 02:03 PM

Instead of buying that expensive tray to tip the sewing machine towards oneself to avoid neck strain, I just got two rubber door stoppers to tilt it towards me!!!! :D
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108965.jpe  
Old 09-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Patsy Jane
Okay, I want to ask a stupid question, I guess, is your fabric already folded selvedge to selvedge when you start folding it on your 6 inch ruler?

I fold salvage to salvage then fold that over again. Fold again into 4th's then rap aroung 6 inch ruler

Originally Posted by barbgooch
Since I'm not concerned about light in my sewing room (it's in the dungeon of my basement - no light penetrates!!) I store all my fabric in open "crates." They are the adjustable vinyl sided "boxes" that can be built to any height/width, etc. I use my 6" wide ruler to fold my fabric. It's just like using the cardboard bolts at the fabric stores. But after I fold it, I pull out my ruler and then fold them in half the other way. Two rows fit perfectly in each shelf. I also just love looking at my wall of color.

One other idea I use is under the bed shoe storage containers. Got them at Hancock Fabric. They hold "tons" of fabric!
That’s just how I fold my fabric too. No need to use boards unless you want a vertical look. I still have more fabric to get folded. Maybe this will motivate me some
Old 09-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Wow, Patricia, how smart. Does it really lessen your neck strain? I have a lot of trouble with that. :-D